Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
azrael

Cool Snails and Betas

My mom has fresh water snails in her tank and said I could have a few for mine. I don't want to add them though if its not going to be good for Talyn (my beta). So yay or nay on snails?

Thanks!
azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

What size is your tank? I keep my bettas in planted 10 gal divideds, so the snails don't overstress the bioload. Also what kind of snails? The larger snails have a much larger bioload.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #3 
azrael

After the holidays I will be transferring Talyn to a 5 gal tank, yeah 5 gal. The snails are tiny. I don't know what type though.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #4 
Silverfang

A nerite or two wouldn't hurt as a tank mate in a 5 gal. IF they are pond snails they can be considered a pest. Not sure how they would affect the bioload, I've tried to avoid them, however I managed to get one... very large one.

The only other smallish snails I can think of are smaller trumpet snails. They will breed prolificly depending on the amount of food.

None should hurt your betta, he might hurt them, some have been known to make snacks of snails. The only other thing to add, is mystery (aka apple) snails are poopers. HUGE. I have three in my 33 gal. If not for the live plants it would be dieing from the ammonia they have to be putting out.

Side note, snails need food, if you have live plants they will mostly take care of themselves (not necessarily in any way you want them too). Algae, algae wafers, or veggies.

Hope this helps, and gives you a bit more information.
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I have ramshorns that come from my koi pond as well as Malaysian trumpet snails in my 10 gals. My bettas do try to attack the ramshorns, and the MTS stay burrowed in the substrate. I added the ramshorns when I was starting up the tank to take care of the excess algae. Now that it's gone the MTS keep any algae in check.

Can you tell us the shape of the snail shells? Do they come to a point? A long point? Short point? Curled like a rams horn? That will tell us more about the species.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #6 
azrael

Oval shape.. like a swerve? I'm not looking at them my self. I had to have my Mom describe them. She also said some are white and others black... not sure if that helps though.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Hmm. How large are they? Larger than a fingernail?

Can you use this to help figure out what they are: Various freshwater snails
Old 12-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #8 
azrael

My Mom is being incredibly difficult with this... They are tiny snails. About the size of a pinky nail. My response above about the shell being swerve like is the best answer i can give. Sorry. thanks for being so helpful though!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #9 
Silverfang

If they don't look like a cone, I'm guessing pond snails, aka pests. They wont hurt, but they have this annoying habit of breeding like bunnies.
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #10 
azrael

In case my Mom's description of the snail is wrong. Would the snails with the cone shape be a problem?

Tags
snails