Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #1 
sielkirk90

would a shrimp/snail be helpful?

I currently have (among many beautiful bettas) a male betta in a 2.5G filtered/heated tank. I do 80% water changes twice a week and 100% changes every other week unless its looking dirty. however recently (the past couple weeks) the water has remained slightly cloudy no matter how much i change the water or filter cartridge.

Could this be an algae or other problem that maybe a snail or shrimp might help with?

or is this possibly some other problem?
he is a rescue from the local walmart *shudder*. so perhaps it may be something he's gotten from his poor care there? got him about a month ago..
I haven't had any problem keeping water clear before and i have kept quite a few bettas...idk what i'm doing wrong.

thanks! :)
sielkirk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

The only thing I can think of at the moment is a bacteria bloom. You do have a filter and while 2.5g's aren't notorious for holding cycles, it's still possible. I don't think having any shrimp or a snail would be necessary at the moment and so long as your fish is doing fine, I don't think it's much to worry about.... but that's just my opinion ^.^; Someone else might be able to get you better advice as I've never dealt with a problem like this- only from what I've come across in my research.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #3 
Myates

It sounds as if it may be ammonia spikes..
For your tank you are doing a lot of extra water changes.. Draug is right about the bloom. It sounds as if your tank is having a hard time establishing itself.

For a 2.5 gall, filtered you will want to do at most 2 50% water changes per week- one water only, the other siphon (it's important to siphon as the filter doesn't actually remove the waste, just hides it). No 100%s needed-- even though it's not going to cycle, the gravel still holds beneficial bacteria along with the filter. Siphoning is safe, but you don't want to kill off it with the 100%s.

If the tank gets real dirty, you can every once in a great while do a 100%.. but otherwise it's not needed.

A snail would almost be too much bio load in that size tank, and it will not help with the cloudiness, neither will shrimp. It's the water chemistry causing it... I would see if reducing the water changes as I mentioned above does help, which I believe it will.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Sorry if some one has already mentioned this. I would stop changing the filter cartridge. Even if the tank is not fullly cycled, it still holds a lot of good bacteria that changing the cartridge will get rid of. Just rinse it once a month in dirty tank water, once a fortnight is necessary. Don't clean it too hard, just a rinse and squeeze. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #5 
abdullah79

Water changing is good

You can also use the best water filter and the water changing is good because shrimp/snail need fresh water.
abdullah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdullah79 View Post
You can also use the best water filter and the water changing is good because shrimp/snail need fresh water.
The water can be too clean.. doing so many water changes can cause problems for the tank.

For a carbon filter, monthly changing is needed, for a sponge filter Bombalurina is correct in that you will only want to change when it's falling apart- otherwise swish in old tank water you are changing to rid it of debris and stick back into the filter.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #7 
PixelatedPaint

I would also cover the tank for a bit...is the tank near direct sunlight? This could be causing some of the problem if so.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote