Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #1 
LyzzaRyzz

Smile Hello from Lil' Rhody! [Rhode Island]

Hi everyone!
Im Lyzz, 22, and I live in Rhode Island.
Im a college student, and an avid fish and aquarium enthusiast. =]

Im new to this website, so Ill tell you a little about my tank friends, and a few other non-finned family members I have

First and foremost, are my bettas, Purp and Bosco. Their both veiltail males, and they live in a divided 2.5 gal tank that is filtered on one side, and heated on the other, and Im having trouble getting the heater and filter to work on both sides, even though there are holes in the divider.
Also, my poor little guys came from the pet store with ick, and once I got rid of those, I discovered that they has external parasites. Im currently treating for them with betta revive, trying to up the temp, [though with the divider problems, its hard] and salt. thier already looking even more peppy. Any advice you guys can give with them, would be wonderful!

Secondly, I have my koi. All in all, we have three koi, and two goldfish that live in a pond in my back yard, though it isnt deep enough for them to winter in. [tried that..dead fishes =[ ]
Three of the koi are in a tank by themselves, and they are all pretty big, about 7-8 inches each.
But two koi didnt grow very much, one being about five inches and the other about four. They are not in a seperate ten gal tank in my room, where Im seeing if i can fatten them up for the summer. One of them, the smaller one, we call him Sick Fish, cause he had swim bladder problems, and seems a little dopey, but hes been getting better, but im not sure if hell be ready for the summer, so ive decided to keep him in the tank, and once may comes, get him some tank mates, after the other koi is removed. Anyone with advice on kois in tanks feel free to give me your knowledge!

I also have a small "betta bowl" filled with ramshorn snails. Ive started with six small and one larger, and am hoping to breed to get betta tank mates [once they are better] and food for the koi.

Other thank that, I have my two dogs, a 12 yr old beagle, lilly, and a 2 yr old dachshund poodle, Khodii. Khodii is a rescue, so he has a few issues, but in the last year and a half, hes become such a great dog!

I also have a cat, Rainbob, that prowls and protects my property from invading felines.

And not to forget my tree frogs, that me and my mother raised from tadpoles. Their spring peepers, and we just love to watch em eat!

Anyways, those are the animals that own me, =], and if anyone has any advice or comments, feel free to post!!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #2 
GreenTea

I was going to show you how to post a thread but it looks like you figured it out! :) Welcome to the forum.

Many people will say your betta tank and koi tanks are too small. Water quality is really important though, even if the tanks are temporary. While those tanks aren't ideal, water quality can make a huge difference. What is your water change schedule like on your betta tank?

I wouldn't add any tankmates to a 10 gal with a koi in it as they are a high ammonia, kind of "dirty" fish. Most people on this forum don't recommend adding a tankmate to any tank less than 10 gallons for a betta, let alone a koi.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #3 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
I was going to show you how to post a thread but it looks like you figured it out! :) Welcome to the forum.

Many people will say your betta tank and koi tanks are too small. Water quality is really important though, even if the tanks are temporary. While those tanks aren't ideal, water quality can make a huge difference. What is your water change schedule like on your betta tank?

I wouldn't add any tankmates to a 10 gal with a koi in it as they are a high ammonia, kind of "dirty" fish. Most people on this forum don't recommend adding a tankmate to any tank less than 10 gallons for a betta, let alone a koi.
Yeah, i just stumbled onto it..lol lucky me!
The betta tank is just temporary, as this year, instead of Christmas, Im having Fishmas, and im getting either another 2.5 gal or dividing a five gal. Im getting the tanks off of craigslist, so im not sure what opportunities will arise. =]
Actually, right now, Im a bit confused on the water changes for the bettas. They had ick, and seemed to be rid of it, then one started flashing and i noticed a few scales mising from two spots, i researched and from what i read, its external parasites. And now my other betta has a few scales missing. Im treating them with betta revive, and salt, and trying my hardest to raise the temp in the tank, I have a new idea for tomorrow for cutting a hole the diameter of the heater and having half the heating element in the other side of the tank [if that makes sense] hopefully that will help heat up both sides equally. Also im drilling more holes in the divider, for more water flow.
but as for the water changes, ive read that while medicating, if you have a filter [w/o carbon] you didnt need to change the water, it waqs better for the meds to stay in the water.
Im not sure if thats correct?

Actually, my koi, Sickfish, is in the 10 gal with a slightly larger koi, because the other three are much larger, and they werent getting any food!
I do 50% water changes every three days, with top offs when the tank needs it.
Sickfish loves having the other koi there, and they are nearly inseparable. Which is why I would like to get him a tank mate, cause im nervous that once the other koi is moved to the pond, Sickfish will get depressed.

Thing is, I have a very small bedroom. And with two tanks, and my two dogs, me and my boyfriend, itll get crowded if i try to make my tanks too much bigger.

I do have a fifteen gallon spare in my basement i was planning to switch the koi into for my birthday, [I cant think of a cute name, but im turning my birthday also into a free fish supply getting day] and turning the 10 gal into a triple tank for bettas, and getting a female for the middle. My birthday is in early February.

My goal is to get the two males i have healthy and free of sickness before i upgrade the tanks. So, think of thier tank as a hospital tank. =]
Old 12-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #4 
GreenTea

That's good you're upgrading tanks.

And no, with several illnesses, but especially parasites, you want to keep the bettas in a bare bottom tank and change the water 100% every day. I would not keep them together while one or both is sick. The medications lose potency over time, and as fish release ammonia constantly, that still builds up and stresses the fish who are recovering. Parasite larvae can live a long time in tanks.

With 2 bettas in 2.5 gal, without illness, and a filter, you should be changing the water twice a week, 50% or so one change, and a 25% change or so, cleaning the gravel.

PS - The empty bare bottom tank is to allow you to see the parasite falling off and monitor things like poop color, and rule out issues like fish being damaged like decor. Remember that if a decoration can snag pantyhose it can damage a bettas fins or scales.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Lyzz

I love the idea of Fishmas LOL.

+1 on the bare bottom tank while treating any sick fish or in a quarantine tank. Good luck with treating your fishies. I hope they both recover soon.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....nice to meet you.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #7 
LyzzaRyzz

Thanks! I'll clear out the tank now! Just wondering, do I do a 100% water change? And how exactly do I sterilize the gravel/plants? And sadly, I only have on heater, so they need to stay in the same tank, after I fix the divider, it should help with the distribution of the heated water.
Plus, I've been using table salt [non iodized] instead of AS because I haven't been able to get to the lfs.
Please, any advice would be great!!

And thank you for the welcomes! =D
Old 12-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #8 
LyzzaRyzz

Help anyone? I got home from work, and Id like to fix thier tank!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Hi, nice to meet you and I love Rhode Island. My brother went to college there so when I went to visit, I totally fell in love with the state.

For a 100% water change, cup the fish out and siphon as much water as you can. When you can't siphon any more out, dump the rest out. If you're built tiny like me, you may need someone to help you lift the tank if it's 10g or bigger.

If the plants are live, best way to sterilize is just to put them in tap water that hasn't been dechlorinated. I've heard the chlorine will sterilize them. For the gravel, rinse under hot water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi Lyzz, nice to meet you and welcome to the forum.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote