Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

Quote:
How long is Lent?
I'm not sure but I think its about 40 days? I think it goes from the day after Mardi Grais to Easter Sunday.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think this discussion is fine. No one is bashing anyone. Bahamut isn't asking personal questions, just questions in general. I was raised Catholic and I remember doing the fish on fridays thing.Back in my parents' dsy, long, long ago, lol, if a Catholic married a non catholic, the kids had to be raised Catholic. I don't think things are as strict now.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #13 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I think this discussion is fine. No one is bashing anyone. Bahamut isn't asking personal questions, just questions in general. I was raised Catholic and I remember doing the fish on fridays thing.Back in my parents' dsy, long, long ago, lol, if a Catholic married a non catholic, the kids had to be raised Catholic. I don't think things are as strict now.
THANK YOU!
Lol, nothing wrong with asking questions, she is not trying to start anything OR be offensive or even say that the religion is wrong... she is trying to LEARN
I give her props for that!!

:)

Not Catholic, but it was nice reading the information people provided who ANSWERED the questions
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #14 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I'm not sure but I think its about 40 days? I think it goes from the day after Mardi Grais to Easter Sunday.
Wow, not eat meat for 40 days? OMG I WILL DIE. X___X

Thanks for your support DQ and LB! <3
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

No problem.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #16 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Wow, not eat meat for 40 days? OMG I WILL DIE. X___X

Thanks for your support DQ and LB! <3
You can have seafood haha And I believe the fasting part is reducing yourself to one full meal a day, but on Good Friday, you do not eat meat (but fish is fine). At least that's how I was raised, as a Catholic.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #17 
purplemuffin

I'm not catholic, but my boyfriend and his family is. I'm protestant.

We both believe that science is something that should be loved and studied. Many of the earliest scientific discoveries were made in the name of Christianity, to learn more about the world God created. It's foolish in my opinion to believe that there is no science and we should ignore facts around us. To me, the more I study scientific findings, the more love and appreciation I feel for the world. I view science and religion(or "spirituality/humanity") as two wings that humanity needs in order to be able to take flight into the future and to improve ourselves. With blind faith alone, we will crumble and prevent any further learning. With no love, or faith(In God, ourselves, or the faith that maybe there is something out there we just haven't figured out yet--think the faith that the planets DID exist before we had telescopes to see them) we cannot progress or take any further leaps into new discoveries of the world, and can fall into cynicism and retreat further into our safety zone.

It all depends on the people. I personally don't know any christians who don't believe in science. I know they are out there. I just haven't met them, lol. My belief in evolution and all that is that..well.. When one considers how impossible it seems--the perfect planet, the perfect galaxy, the perfect amount of water, the fact that my existence means there is a single, unbroken line of survival and procreation dating back to the very beginning... It's all so incredible. Like I said, Science I believe is a gift, and an incredible one at that. I think we are meant to study it to better ourselves as well, and learn more ways to help others. But that's just us. :)

And above all else, I believe the main message in the Bible is love and acceptance. That's what it means to be Christian. Fasting, the act of going to church, ceremonies, holidays. All of that is meaningless without love. And hate blocks out love. It's nasty. Don't hate people lol. :D

Good luck with everything. There have been a few scuffles between the boyfriend and I about how we will raise our own kids, but it's only because we both care. We want our kids to be able to experience the world and new ideas while being strong in their own views and faith, and above all, being kind and accepting to everyone. The little stuff doesn't matter as much. Besides, it's hard to argue over a single sentence written 2000 years ago in a language I can't understand. My faith tells me to do my best, love everyone around me, and to enjoy all that creation has to offer(including science!) and that's what I'll do. :D

I never did any of the fasting and lent. I sort of tried. I was never raised on it though. Nathan has done it every year--He usually gives up video games or whatever has been occupying his time the most. It's a nice idea, and a good one to try I think for christians or athiests alike--taking a moment to step back away from the things we are focusing on, and getting back to the other things that are important to us. It's fun, and refreshing. Mental and emotional spring cleaning.

It's frustrating to see the...Well... Kind of crazy christians loudly proclaiming they speak for all of us. But you know that saying, the smallest dog barks the loudest. Most people aren't so..full of hatred and sadness. And many of us are smart enough to be able to explore the world and learn about everything before making the choice to believe what we do. ;) I know I explored a lot of options... But alas.

I don't know what his family is like. Hopefully they are kind and wonderful people. And if they are, be kind and loving right back. That doesn't mean you can't be funny or smart or be fake. They should accept you for who you are. If they don't, why would you want to be around them, right? :D

Last edited by purplemuffin; 12-19-2011 at 01:12 AM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

Hey Purple (sorry to hijack, everyone! This is fascinating reading), I think you should read God's Undertaker by John C Lennox, if you haven't already. A wonderful book about religion and science that helped me a lot. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Protestant here. I thought Lent was giving up anything you valued, not just meat? One of my Catholic friends gave up M&Ms for Lent once. Her sister tried to give up the computer but that wasn't very successful.

Aaaand now I'm getting ads for Children's bibles. *facepalm*

Bahamut, I'm really glad that you want to know more about his religion before getting serious. I think that's great because it'll definitely help avoid some potential problems down the road. Kudos to you!

A lot of Asians I know are Catholic and Buddhist. Buddhist because . . . they're Asian, lol. And Catholic because the monks were widespread in the Asian countries back in the 1800's so a lot of their grandparents, great-grandparents etc were converted.

As long as no bashes another religion, I'm totally fine with this.

And I also believe in both science and Christianity. The evidence is there on both sides and I don't see why the two can't coexist. Who is not to say science is not of God's working?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #20 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I thought Lent was giving up anything you valued, not just meat?
Hmmm...you do give up something for all of lent but since the no meat thing was just on fridays, maybe it was just something my grandma invented because she didn't want to pay for a pepperoni pizza. She was kinda cheap. Pitluvs did mention that there was no meat on Good Friday so maybe it was only on one friday and not all of them during lent.

Quote:
In Chinese we have a saying literally translated to: "When you marry a person you marry their family".
It's pretty much the same for Italians or at least the part of my family that is Italian

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-19-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote