Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Thumbs up Almost a year since Calder came home.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share Calder's story. Calder is my Petco PK 'king'. He's a nice dark blue color, and a hair larger than the other PKs I'd owned. He's got a pretty interesting story, and since it's around Christmas and I'm nearing my one year mark with him, I thought I'd tell it.

Before I moved from MI to MN, I'd had three bettas in a divided 10 gallon tank. I couldn't bring them with me, so I left them with my family. Still, it was weird and a little sad when I got settled that I no longer had fish to care for. I was working a hard job at the time and almost all my money was going to help for bills, but I managed to scrape enough up to buy a used 10 gallon, a heater, some gravel, some silk plants, and a thermometer. With money so tight it was a while before I had everything, but once I did I got my tank ready.

Then I went out to Petco. Now, I don't know what your local pet or fish stores are like, but where I was from every fish was a VT. So I walk into this petco, and I see crowntails and PKs and halfmoons for the first time. I must have gone around to every fish twice. All the lovely boys in cups were tempting, but I knew I'd have to have a PK once I saw them in stock. The problem? The price tag was $25 for the boy I wanted, and I only had 10.

A week later I returned, with a big more saved up.. and lo and behold I find him-- looking a little pale with cold but still in one bit and swimming. I brought him home with me through a frigged winter, and got him alcimated to his new home, a heated, unfiltered 10 gallon that for the moment was all his. He turned out a much richer, deep blue on black than I expected, but he was still a beautiful fish.

He got a buddy, I divided the tank when I found Anael, my little white PK angel. Both of them were so amazing-- when I had to move back home I knew I couldn't leave my boys (my room mates always wanted me to make my fish fight)... so I took everything but the tank and gravel. I cupped my boys, padded the inside of a 1g milk jug, and sat them in that. Both of them made it over 600 miles on a greyhound ride in winter with me, in one piece.

Sadly this summer I lost Anael to a tumor. Other fish have come and gone, but Calder's one of the few who's stayed a while. I can honestly say that for a while I was just buying fish to buy them... but sometimes you already have the perfect one at home.

Anyway, that's Calder's story. You have any fish with neat tales to tell?
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #2 
Enbarr

That's such a heartwarming story! I'm sorry for your loss though. These little creatures have so much heart and character that when you lose them, you realize how much they meant to you. I will admit, I forgot that for the period, in between having my betta fish. Several years ago, I bought a red veiltail male betta who I named Happy. I had him for about 2 years (I think) before he began to get really depressed. His fins clamped up and he would hardly swim at all. Then, I bought an African Dwarf frog. As soon as I put him in the tank, Happy perked up. He stayed that way for about another year. When his end was truly approaching, I put him in a shallow bowl so that it would be a bit easier for him. I also put in the little frog. Whenever the frog moved, Happy would follow. He was always beside that frog. I had never seen anything like this. Ever since then, I have had a greater appreciation for these little fish.
I'm glad that you and Calder found each other. I hope that you and your little betta have many more happy years to come :)
Enbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

What a wonderful story! I love when people find the perfect fish.:)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #4 
Jrf456

Wonderful story.. I LOVE KING MALES SOOOO MUCH! I have one, my boy Douglas, and I didn't know they were called PK's so I'll have to update my siggy(: King males are soooo amazing.. I hope to get another one soon with Christmas money.. I just hate how expensive they are :/
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #5 
Crayola

Is it alright if I ask what part of Michigan you moved from? I currently live in Battle Creek, MI. Times are rough here, though, and I really want to leave. Sadly, I still live with my parents as a 16 year old. Your story was touching, thank you for sharing it with us. I'm also sorry about your loss.
Crayola is offline   Reply With Quote