Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #1 
beta novice

plecos in betta tank?

I have two plecos in with my current betta is this odd ? they have not seemed to take up alot of space and are not really big can this work for other tanks or am i a lucky duck?
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It really depends on the tank size and which type of pleco you have.....generally the common type are not suited long term for tank under 100gal since they can get over 2ft and as they mature they stop eating algae and will feed off the slime coat of slow moving fish-not to mention the high bioload since they are poop machines...

Then you have your smaller type like the bushynose that will stay small enough for 20gal tank and always eat algae-pretty peaceful and interesting creature and easy to spawn too....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

They may be small now, but they will grow and they do have a large bioload, so watch your ammonia levels. As OFL said, you'll need at least a 20 gallon for the smallest species. But in a large enough tank, they are generally good betta tankmates. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #4 
Thesharpestlives

As been said..it should be ok :) i keep a Pleco with my Betta...in a 50 gallon lol
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #5 
Mavi

How big do plecos grow to be? I've heard different things about growing based on the size of their tank (like a goldfish) vs. growing without abandon.
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Min 20 gallons for a small species, better off with 40+ for most plecos (to me anywho o.o) Usually they are pretty good..if fed enough. Algae wafers I think (not sure) may also be used
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #7 
tpocicat

I've had bushynose plecos, they get along well with bettas. I once had a common pleco in my 120 gal that did well, until he started eating the slime coat of my oscar! I sold him back to the LPS.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #8 
Thesharpestlives

my biggest pleco (Ramses) is a foot and a half long ! common plecos grow tp be monsters!!! he lives ina pond with some koi :) if u keep a pleco ina small tank....your in for trouble.
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #9 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavi View Post
How big do plecos grow to be? I've heard different things about growing based on the size of their tank (like a goldfish) vs. growing without abandon.
No fish "grows to the size of its tank." This is a myth. The fish become stunted and ill and die prematurely. A pleco will grow to two feet, and can outgrow a small tank very quickly.

As for goldfish, they have a lifespan of 20-30 years (and I've heard of Koi carp living much longer.) Goldfish forced to live and become stunted in little bowls or small tanks die within a couple years more often than not, at only a fraction of their normal lifespan.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Well, the body of fish grows to the tank size, of course. But unfortunately for the fish, their organs grow t maximum size... that is, if they could, without dying premature. This is often seen in Goldfish, Pleco, Koi, and even some Oscars and Gouramis.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote