Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #1 
PixelatedPaint

My 2 new rescues.

Well I went in today looking for females, preferably plakats seeing the first male plakat I've seen around here was in the LPS last month. Well You wouldn't believe my luck when I went in to find that every female in the tank were actually young plakat males. I told them to separate them immediately but they didn't believe me. I know this because they were flaring and fighting each other constantly. They all had large beards and gill flaps and were constantly chasing their reflections. Not only did they put all the males together but the water was ice cold! So I decided to save the males which looked healthiest. They both have some serious stress stripes but I hope the cleaner water and calmer environment will help, along with the heating and IAL.

Don't mind the cloudy water and bubbles. Just set up!
It's a divided 10gallon.

Well here they are...

This one looks chocolate. Body is a nice dark brown with dark brown fringes and a warm yellow color for the inner parts of his fins. The dorsal has some really nice spots. So cute!

and this one looks kinda like a mustard gas. Crossing fingers. His coloring is a dark brown with teal blue body and shimmer. His fins are contoured by brown to teal to the inner parts of his fins which ares a nice yellow- pale orange.

Their home.

PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #2 
Krys

They're female, hon. x3
Female bettas will fight too, especially if too many are in a tank with not enough room.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #3 
Luimeril

it's hard to tell from those pics, imo. :V they COULD be Plakat males.
either way, look at those stripes! my local LPS keeps gals in a small tank(i'd say each section is way less than 10 gallons, and mixed with some kinda catfish and small silver fish), and i've NEVER seen stripes like that on those gals! not even the dark-bodied ones!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #4 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
it's hard to tell from those pics, imo. :V they COULD be Plakat males.
either way, look at those stripes! my local LPS keeps gals in a small tank(i'd say each section is way less than 10 gallons, and mixed with some kinda catfish and small silver fish), and i've NEVER seen stripes like that on those gals! not even the dark-bodied ones!
Those are stress markings. They're just really stressed. Anything could cause it, shock to temperature change, environment, camera flash, anything.

But horizontal stress stripes signify female. At least, all the females I've had and seen had horizontal. Males I've come to notice have tigery, vertical like stripes.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 
Luimeril

that is true, but you never know. the OP DID say the bettas had large beards, which you don't see in females. usually, the females pet stores get in are spawn sisters, or were kept in the same grow out tank, so fighting amongst them isn't very common, even in cramped tanks like that.

guess we'll find out when they feel better, and if the OP can get good flaring shots. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #6 
Krys

Even spawn sisters will fight each other if too cramped.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #7 
PixelatedPaint

There were only say 6 live females in a 20 or so gallon display tank. most were dead. I had the same issue with hermes who ended up being a plakat male. My bets are on males,. I've had plenty of males with the horizontal stripes pass through here. VTs mostly). Also females do not tend to chase mirrors or reflection and hardly flare at glass. These little ones are. Although I'm hoping there is a female in there. I'm going to see who survived the arctic conditions there later this afternoon.

Its 50/50 so itll be fun to see.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #8 
PixelatedPaint

Ah here is a sample which support my guess. It could be either but by the way the are acting outside of stripes...they sound more like young males. These two are very small and far from mature.

Males and females flare or puff out their gill covers (opercula) in order to appear more impressive, either to intimidate other rivals or as an act of courtship. Other reasons for flaring their gills is that they are startled by movement or change of scene in their environment. Both sexes will display horizontal bars (unless they are too light a color for this to show) if stressed or frightened; however, such a color change, common in females of any age, is very rare in mature males. Females often flare their gills at other females, especially when setting up a pecking order. Flirting fish behave similarly, with vertical instead of horizontal stripes indicating a willingness and readiness to breed (females only).
Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #9 
kathstew

Males will get stress stripes as well.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #10 
PixelatedPaint

Yes its just the kind of stress stripe that we were debating. both genders seem to have horizontal stress stripes while young. Females continue to show the same kind and males will eventually no longer show the horizontal stripe.