Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #1 
chicagojo

Should I keep him on just 2 pellets?

My son's betta Rock N Roll had a really bad case of SBD about 2 months ago. It took him a while to recover, and by the end of it all he had been fasted for almost 2 weeks. I started feeding him again very slowly, initially 1 pellet (Hikari Betta Bio-Gold) per day and then worked up to 2 (one in the morning, 1 at night). I kept him on 2 pellets for a long time because he seemed to be doing well and he's a very tiny fish (he's about half the size of our other betta). About a month ago, though, we moved him from his 1G bowl to a 2.5G tank and he has been much more active, so I thought maybe we should increase him to 3 pellets. He ended up showing early signs of SBD again last week, though, and so I fasted him for a couple of days again and waited for him to poop. We started feeding him again today but I'm wondering if maybe he just needs to stay at 2 pellets a day? It seems like such a small amount of food, especially when he's so active, but he is very small for a betta and seemed like he was doing well on just the 2 pellets. The only thing is, he doesn't poop daily like our other betta does - maybe only every 2-3 days or so. Is this normal, or could this be a sign that we are underfeeding him and his digestive tract isn't being kept as active as it should? Thanks for any advice!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #2 
kfryman

The only thing I know you can do is try to presoak the pellet in tank water. I will PM myates
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #3 
Myates

Thanks Kfry- will do my best :) I remember Rock N Roll from his SBD problems.. poor fella

What symptoms is he showing?
If it's just a bigger belly, that is normal for them to expand some after eating.
If he is tilting and can't swim upright then I would stick with 2 pellets per day until he grows.

Soaking them won't do anything for it, other then lose nutrients (processed food will start losing nutrition as soon as it hits the water).

What I do for my small ones (currently have a small 3 month old one now and a female who can't fit a regular sized pellet in her mouth) is I cut the pellets in half (very carefully) and feed them that way- I would cut some in half, feed 3 halves at once, twice a day and see how that goes. It may be the size of the pellets themselves that are causing problems- until he gets bigger.

There are mini pellets that are very tiny you could also look for to see if those would work better for you. I can't recall the names of them at this time, as I don't buy them, but I know others use them and they are good food to use.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #4 
chicagojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I remember Rock N Roll from his SBD problems.. poor fella
Yep, it's the same guy! Thanks so much for your help with him before - he has been doing great these past couple of months.

His symptoms recently were pretty minor, but they were the same symptoms he had at the beginning when he ended up getting so bad before:
- His body started looking misshapen, with a big curve/bulge in the middle and it seemed like it was hard for him to straighten out
- He hadn't pooped in several days (I know for sure because he has a bare-bottom tank)
- He was having buoyancy issues off and on (couldn't stay down, kept floating back to the top)
- He was starting to occasionally tip to the side but could still upright himself pretty easily.

Since I caught it earlier this time, I did a 100% water change, fasted him for 2 days (until after I was sure he had pooped and his behavior was completely back to normal) and he seems fine now.

That's a good idea about the smaller pellets - I will look for those. My son also mentioned he fed him a couple of "giant pellets" which I'm thinking were 2 fused together - maybe that was too much for him. I'm not all that confident he's going to get much bigger because we've had him for over 4 months now and he's still tiny. My daughter says he's the perfect fish for my son - small and hyper :)

Thanks for the advice!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #5 
kfryman

See this is why I asked Myates lol.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #6 
Myates

lol thanks Ky :)

He may just stay small as you suspected.. which is fine and cute!

Yep, the smaller pellets, or cutting the medium sized ones may work- you can experiment on how many works best for him.
If possible, you can feed one in the morning, one at lunch, and one before bed to see if that helps keep him normal and yet gives him a little more nutrition.
Also daphnia (frozen or freeze dried) will help keep him "regular" as it is high in fiber. Tends to be harder to find- so would call your pet stores and ask if they have frozen, if not, then freeze dried. You can supplement some pellets per week with them.

It depends on their diet, how much they will "go". Mine go once a day, sometimes twice.. others goes a lot, and some not as much. The more they eat, the more protein and live foods, the more regular they are.

I can't remember, but is he a CT? If so, that could explain why he is having issues, as they are more streamlined and tend to bloat more easily.. especially if he is little.
But don't worry if all you can feed is two pellets a day- just supplement other meals once in a while with blood worms, or daphnia to help give him added nutrition.

Keep us posted if anything else occurs, or if you have more questions!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote