Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #1 
Bombalurina

Went to the RSPCA today

I found out something about the past life of my Willoughby. He's my black hooded rat. I adopted him in April and he now lives with my other rats, Jekyll, Hyde, Richelieu and D'Artagnan. Jekyll and Hyde are both from the RSPCA too.
Anyway, I went back to the shelter today to ask about another rat who was there (but got adopted by someone else yesterday - yay!). I also looked at their VERY cute mice. So, so cute.
Back on topic. I found out Willoughby's back story, back when he was called Squirrel. He belonged to a lady who was admitted to a mental institution. She smuggled him in in a tiny cage but was forced to give him up after a few months when she was found out. I knew he'd been loved, but I had no idea that was his story and it does explain some of his stranger behaviours. I'm so glad I could adopt him and give him four friends and a huge cage, with all the love he can stand. He's still a bit strange, but I'll never stop loving him anyway, and some days he is just unbearably sweet. My little Squibbles. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #2 
Laki

Aw, finding out about adopted pets is rewarding! And as you said, helps you understand some of their behaviors :) Bless you for taking in ratties and mice ^.^ I'm a fan of both as pets. That was a nice story though, at least he was loved :) And they all have a wonderful ratty retirement with you!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

That almost sounds like a movie script :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

@Laki: I don't have mice, just 5 ratties. :) I was looking at the mice in the RSPCA today though, and it's not my fault I don't own them both right now. :p
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #5 
Laki

But you DID own them both. That's what I meant! So many people, without a basis for real fear or argument why they 'don't make good pets' squeal in the store and judge those who do choose to enrich their lives. There was only 1 person I met who was actually really afraid of mice.. A full grown man. I worked with him and it was SO easy to spook him by pretending you seen a mouse. I had my sister walk a rat to the store to spook him but he refused to open the office door. :P Looking back, we probably shouldn't have enabled his fear with pranking but it was such a good idea at the time bc he was an adult male!! ^.^
Old 12-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I've never owned mice. I just really want them. :)

I get rat/mouse fears with people like my old German teacher, who lived through WWII, where they were a real problem and could be quite vicious, but I don't understand how they can't seperate those rats from my gorgeous, sweet, loving, cuddly fluffbundles. Mine would never bite and only want love.
I was in the vet last week, and someone actually left the waiting room when she found I had rats! I was so shocked. I didn't even have them out, and it's not like I'd have let them roam a waiting room full of dogs anyway. Her dog, gorgeous though she was, is far more dangerous than my little fatties. Oh well. She's missing out. :p
Old 12-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #7 
Laki

Ah, I get the war experience. It's my history focus at school ^.^ So I know about the rats :/ I mean, not like your teacher! But psychologically people cannot differentiate between friendly pets and vermin chewing into a corpse. :.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #8 
SDragon

I feel sad that the lady couldnt keep him, but he sounds happier with you.
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Poor little guy. No wonder he acts strange. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDragon View Post
I feel sad that the lady couldnt keep him, but he sounds happier with you.
I hope so, since he's now in a cage nearly as tall as I am instead of a cardboard box. :p I have made him a bit fat, though. I am a bad person. But he's more cuddley this way.