Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #11 
Sakura8

nolefin, welcome to the forum and it's so great you rescued those fish! Poor things, I can't imagine anyone would just leave them behind like that, and in the same bowl too!

If the temp gets very cold in your apartment, wrap some towels around the bowls to keep as much heat in as possible.

Another possible option for emergency tanks are shoebox sized (or larger if you want) Rubbermaid or Sterilite containers from Wal-Mart etc.

Prime is a great water conditioner for small tanks but if the one guy's fins start to go south on you, consider picking up a small bottle (smallest goes for $5.99 at Petsmart) of API Stress Coat. It's very good for rehealing fins that won't heal on their own.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #12 
Gen2387

I don't know if it's been mentionned yet (haven't read all the comments) But if you don't already have some, don't forget to buy water conditioner. It's extremely imporant and most of them also work as a stress coat. It has to be used at every water change to clean the water from the tap.

For a cave, if you don't have a lot of money, I went to the dollar store and bought a pack of terracota pots for 1 dollar. Very useful.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #13 
Nolefin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
I don't know if it's been mentionned yet (haven't read all the comments) But if you don't already have some, don't forget to buy water conditioner. It's extremely imporant and most of them also work as a stress coat. It has to be used at every water change to clean the water from the tap.

For a cave, if you don't have a lot of money, I went to the dollar store and bought a pack of terracota pots for 1 dollar. Very useful.
Yes! I have some water conditioner, the previous owners of the bettas left the water conditioner and their pack of pellet food next to the bowl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtaceae View Post
Hey there, I'm new to the forum too, but I have kept bettas for a while before. I think it's really cool that you stepped up to save those fish, especially since you don't have a lot of cash. So I don't think anyone is going to judge you for keeping them in a 1gal for now. :)

For money: Don't underestimate the dollar store (glass pebbles, mugs, toothbrush holders also make good caves). Just rinse everything very well. Craigslist has an amazing amount of aquarium stuff posted. Constantly. People move or just don't realize fish require work, and sell their set-ups for a fraction of what they paid.

Thekoimaiden was right on about temperature fluctuations being stressful. If your apartment's temperature doesn't change very much, they are probably better off just being kept in a draft-free place until you can safely raise the heat slowly. Also, make sure you let water for water changes sit until it's room temp. In small tanks, you can dramatically raise/lower the temp with relatively small amount of water.

Betta bulbs can be all kinds of things (usually a lily of some kind though) and they don't always sprout. Unless you really want a live plant or feel some type of attachment to it, I wouldn't bother. You've got enough on your plate adopting two hurt fish-- don't stress yourself out too much about the bulbs.

It sounds like you are doing a really great job so far and reading up. It's going to be really fun when they are healthy enough to show off their personalities!
The betta bulbs that came in the bowl when I picked up the fish look like they might have problems (there are a few little brown spots on one of the leaves) so I think I might just throw them out when I get home and purchase some silk plants and those mini terracota pots that everyone keeps talking about!

And to deal with the water temperature, I think I'm going to look into getting a 10gal tank and separating it. I'll just have to see the size up close/in person to gauge if I'll have room for it in my bedroom (the warmest place in the house - plus I don't want to keep them in the kitchen or living room just in case my roommates do something stupid like knock a bowl over or try to over feed them or something).
Nolefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Can't go wrong with a divided 10g. Means you only have to get one heater instead of two. Right now, Petco is having a sale on their kits and I believe they have 10g and 15g kits with filter, hood, and heater for $39.99. This is a great deal, believe me. Heaters alone can cost $25 and the hood will cost $30.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden

Also with a divided 10 gal, the heating possibilities increase. You can get an adjustable heater for relatively inexpensive.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #16 
Oiseau

It's awesome that you rescues those poor babies. :( I don't understand people.

You could take a look around second hand shops too. I found a 5g tank for $2 at one!
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #17 
Luimeril

tens aren't as big as they sound. i keep looking at ours and going "and i can fit THREE bettas in that with dividers? no way!" lol but, put a fish in there, and they get lost! i got my mom's young female in it, and we search for her often, because she can hide easily!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #18 
Jrf456

Very nice of you to rescue them(:

Don't listen to the people who tell you otherwise. 1g tanks are perfect for bettas!

Change there water 50% ONCE a week and 100% once a week. 50% every day will stress them out and cause damage.

I suggest getting mini heaters, but filters are not necessary.

I also suggest to either use filtered drinking water or buy water conditioner, tap water will kill them.

2-3 pellets 2x daily is fine. I suggest getting freeze dried blood worms, they sell them at pet stores. They're a yummy treat that bettas LOVE, feed them those 2x a week instead of the pellets. Make sure to skip 1 day a week of feeding to insure they don't get bloated.

When you get the chance, I suggest you buy gravel, plastic plants, and some kind of aquarium cave. Remember to NEVER use any other type of decoration in their bowls than actual tank decorations. No plastic figures, no vinyl craft store flowers, NOTHING other than actual fish products.

I hope I helped! Have fun, they're alot of it(:
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #19 
Pitluvs

Everything is covered, just wanted to say thank you for saving them and welcome to the forum :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #20 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
Very nice of you to rescue them(:

Don't listen to the people who tell you otherwise. 1g tanks are perfect for bettas!

Change there water 50% ONCE a week and 100% once a week. 50% every day will stress them out and cause damage.

I suggest getting mini heaters, but filters are not necessary.

I also suggest to either use filtered drinking water or buy water conditioner, tap water will kill them.

2-3 pellets 2x daily is fine. I suggest getting freeze dried blood worms, they sell them at pet stores. They're a yummy treat that bettas LOVE, feed them those 2x a week instead of the pellets. Make sure to skip 1 day a week of feeding to insure they don't get bloated.

When you get the chance, I suggest you buy gravel, plastic plants, and some kind of aquarium cave. Remember to NEVER use any other type of decoration in their bowls than actual tank decorations. No plastic figures, no vinyl craft store flowers, NOTHING other than actual fish products.

I hope I helped! Have fun, they're alot of it(:
I have to disagree with a few things here. 1) Tank size is up to the individual. Please don't start an argument over this lol 2) Tap water will not kill Bettas, it's actually recommended over any other type of water. The way you worded it sounded a little off. Water conditioner is a must, but the OP already noted conditioner came with the fish :) 3) There are many decorations that are safe to use in tanks that are not aquarium related. Also, silk plants are better than plastic :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote