Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #1 
LoveMyBettas8885

What to use to clean bowl sick betta was in?

Sooo... My poor little betta Glow died tonight I was soooooooo sad when I saw he died. I'm not even exactly sure what was wrong. I tried different treatments but obviously none worked. I want to get a new betta to add into my 10g but I want to quarantine it before I add it to my 10g with my other two. I have a little heater for the bowl that Glow was in so I'd be using that same bowl to quarantine my new one. But I want to make sure it is 100% safe to put a new betta in it. I've washed all of the pebbles, heater and bowl with reeeeeeeeeeeally hot water but I'm wondering if there is something I can use or buy in order to make sure it's not contagious or anything. Also, how long is it recommended to quarantine a new betta before adding it in with my other two boys? Thank you.
LoveMyBettas8885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #2 
PixelatedPaint

You could bleach it but it takes time to dry and for the bleach to"go away" I like doing a series of sterilizing. I boil a lot of water and pour it into the bowl and let sit for an hour or two. empty. After that I put a bit of vinegar..just pour a bit in...and boil some more water. I pour into the bowl with vinegar and let it sit for a few hours.empty. Rinse a lot afterwards and its ready.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #3 
Laki

Just drying it all outside for a couple hours and then re-rinsing it in hot water should do the trick. Be careful with glass though, you don't want to break glass by switching it from cold to boiling hot! I seen it happen before to glass tanks and glass thermometers before.
Sorry about your fish :(
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #4 
PixelatedPaint

I have never had one break before and ive done this countless time. I simply rinse the bowl with luke warm to hot water before pouring the boiling water in.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #5 
Laki

I mean making it cold with either being outside or cold water then putting hot water right in it. The contraction from the cold makes it hard for it to deal with the hot.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #6 
PixelatedPaint

I know why it would break but to prevent it you can rinse the bowl several times in warm to hot water. this will kind of acclimate it to the temp. or sometimes i put the bowl int he sink and run cool water into the bowl and then begin to run warm to hot water letting excess water over flow while being replaced by hot water.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #7 
LoveMyBettas8885

Thank you for the responses. I've had a glass bowl break on me before because I went from hot to cold too quick. I'll try the vinegar though. I just don't want my new little betta getting sick too. How long should I keep the new betta in the bowl before adding it to my 10g?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #8 
PixelatedPaint

I QT for 10-14 days...usually the latter. This gives the betta time to de stress and regain health AND enough time to see if they carry any diseases and so on.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #9 
LoveMyBettas8885

Awesome! I'll do 14 days. Thank you do much for your help! :)
Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #10 
PixelatedPaint

No problem! . Post pics when you can...i love pics!