Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 
MarcusTheGreat

How long do i have to wait to let my guy back in my tank after a water change ?

title says it all ?
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I put my bettas straight back in their tank after a water change. However, I do ensure that the temperature and pH are a rough match so it's not too much of a shock to their system.

Water conditioners work instantly, so unless you did a cold water change or the pH of your source and tank water is radically different, you don't really need to stand there and acclimatise them back in.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #3 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I put my bettas straight back in their tank after a water change. However, I do ensure that the temperature and pH are a rough match so it's not too much of a shock to their system.

Water conditioners work instantly, so unless you did a cold water change or the pH of your source and tank water is radically different, you don't really need to stand there and acclimatise them back in.
k thanks budd
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I agree with LittleBettaFish.
I put mine in usually after I add the conditioner. never had a problem... Some bettas hate that though and may need acclimatizing every time. Or, if you used different water, different town, etc
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #5 
MarcusTheGreat

it was my first water change in my 10g tank today
Old 12-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #6 
Gen2387

I always acclimate them for about 20 minutes. I float their little cup and add a little water every 5 minutes so they get used to it. It makes the transition easier for them and less chances of shock.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Generally you don't need to remove the fish for partial water changes and as long as the tank has been maintained to start-all you need to do is make sure the replacement water is-dechlorinated and pretty close in temp before you add it....its a different story with a neglected tank.....

In a 10gal filtered tank without live plants and established nitrogen cycle-water changes of 50% weekly with vacuum should maintain water quality....

IMO-it is always a better safe than sorry issue when you reintroduce the fish back to any tank after water changes and acclimate them back to the chemistry-by adding small amount of the new tank water to the holding container over 5-10min or to tolerance....this will cover both temp and chemistry.....a simple step that sometimes can mean the difference between life and death in some cases...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote