-Hood with bulbs
-Top Fin power filter with cartridge
-Adjustable 50-watt UL heater
-4" nylon net
-Thermometer
-Water conditioner sample
-Bacteria starter sample
-Gravel Vaccume
-(I haven't got this yet, but I will!) Betta Food and Cory Food!

What else do I need to buy?
How often will I have to do water changes?
How long do Cories and Snails live?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #2 
Enbarr

Do you have any decorations for you tank? They aren't necessary, but they do make the tank look nicer :) As for what else that you need to buy, I can't really think of anything else...it looks like you are well prepared (though someone else may come along and have more ideas).
I don't have any experience in cory catfish but I have heard that they tend to live 1-3 years in the proper conditions. Snails, on the other hand, can live 2 to even 10 years. I have only had my snail for about a couple of weeks, so I can't prove it. However, snails produce a large amount of waste, something to keep in mind. If you just have one snail though, I think a 25-30% water change once a week will be sufficient enough.
Good luck with your new tank!
Enbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enbarr View Post
Do you have any decorations for you tank? They aren't necessary, but they do make the tank look nicer :) As for what else that you need to buy, I can't really think of anything else...it looks like you are well prepared (though someone else may come along and have more ideas).
I don't have any experience in cory catfish but I have heard that they tend to live 1-3 years in the proper conditions. Snails, on the other hand, can live 2 to even 10 years. I have only had my snail for about a couple of weeks, so I can't prove it. However, snails produce a large amount of waste, something to keep in mind. If you just have one snail though, I think a 25-30% water change once a week will be sufficient enough.
Good luck with your new tank!
Yes, but I don't know what decorations. . . lol It's all a surprise for Christmas Day! :) Great! It sounds like I'm all set. :) That's good, so I'll have my fishies for a while! :D For a water change, I just take the fishies out, empty some water, clean the gravel and put new water in with some conditioner, right?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #4 
Enbarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Yes, but I don't know what decorations. . . lol It's all a surprise for Christmas Day! :) Great! It sounds like I'm all set. :) That's good, so I'll have my fishies for a while! :D For a water change, I just take the fishies out, empty some water, clean the gravel and put new water in with some conditioner, right?
You're right about taking out some of the dirty water and then putting conditioned water back in. However, with me, I tend to simply leave my fish in there while I do a water change. I use a gravel vacuum (something, if you don't have, you may want to add to you list) because it cleans the gravel fairly well, while sucking up water. If you take all of the gravel out to clean it, you will be killing the good bacterial in located in the substrate, hence the reason why a simple gravel vacuum is recommended. But then again, you might already have a gravel vacuum?
Oh, and another thing (something that you probably know already) is to let the tank cycle for 1-2 weeks at the least before you put in your fish.
Enbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #5 
Myates

With a 10 gallon, filtered just 30-40% weekly with regular siphoning is needed- you can use the thermometer to make sure the water is the same temp (or within a degree) of the tank so that way you won't have to remove the fish.

With proper conditions, life expectancy of bettas are roughly 5 years (sometimes less depending upon where your LFS gets their stock), for cory cats it is 1-3 years, and snails depends on what you get.. mystery snails tend to be about a year, apple snails about 3.. as long as you keep up with the water changes and the appropriate temp for them, as well as good nutrition you can probably get them to live full life spans, and possibly then some.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

You didn't mention what substrate you have, so let me jump in and suggest sand. :) Smooth gravel is ok, but it must be small. With larger pebbles, pockets of gas become trapped beneath them, and when a cory dislodges a pebble like that they get gassed in the face. This can cause their barbels to become infected. Sharp gravel is also a no-no. Sand is the best of all and it is super cute to watch them play in it and dig for food. :)

I would suggest one of the smaller species - pygmies would be best (you could have six of those!) or 4 panda cories (they are larger than pygmies but don't get as long as say, bronze cories).

I'd personally skip the snail (they do stuff all for algae, mostly, and poop like crazy), but if you want a snail, I wish you all the best with it. :) I'll give you as many pest snails as you like for free! :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enbarr View Post
You're right about taking out some of the dirty water and then putting conditioned water back in. However, with me, I tend to simply leave my fish in there while I do a water change. I use a gravel vacuum (something, if you don't have, you may want to add to you list) because it cleans the gravel fairly well, while sucking up water. If you take all of the gravel out to clean it, you will be killing the good bacterial in located in the substrate, hence the reason why a simple gravel vacuum is recommended. But then again, you might already have a gravel vacuum?
Oh, and another thing (something that you probably know already) is to let the tank cycle for 1-2 weeks at the least before you put in your fish.
I bought a gravel vaccume on Saturday. :) I was quite unsure about leaving the tank for 1 week! The "Your First Day" fish sticky says just get the water and put the fish in, and my LPS says to leave the tank for a day or two!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
With a 10 gallon, filtered just 30-40% weekly with regular siphoning is needed- you can use the thermometer to make sure the water is the same temp (or within a degree) of the tank so that way you won't have to remove the fish.

With proper conditions, life expectancy of bettas are roughly 5 years (sometimes less depending upon where your LFS gets their stock), for cory cats it is 1-3 years, and snails depends on what you get.. mystery snails tend to be about a year, apple snails about 3.. as long as you keep up with the water changes and the appropriate temp for them, as well as good nutrition you can probably get them to live full life spans, and possibly then some.

Good luck!
I'll be doing 30% changes every week. Can you use any thermometer as long as it's been sterilized? The fish live a long time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
You didn't mention what substrate you have, so let me jump in and suggest sand. :) Smooth gravel is ok, but it must be small. With larger pebbles, pockets of gas become trapped beneath them, and when a cory dislodges a pebble like that they get gassed in the face. This can cause their barbels to become infected. Sharp gravel is also a no-no. Sand is the best of all and it is super cute to watch them play in it and dig for food. :)

I would suggest one of the smaller species - pygmies would be best (you could have six of those!) or 4 panda cories (they are larger than pygmies but don't get as long as say, bronze cories).

I'd personally skip the snail (they do stuff all for algae, mostly, and poop like crazy), but if you want a snail, I wish you all the best with it. :) I'll give you as many pest snails as you like for free! :p
I've already bought some smooth, small gravel. :) None of my LPS's sell pygmies, but Petsmart has a ton of panda ones. The pandas were the ones I wanted. I love those snails. lol