Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #1 
jman828

Mystery Snails?

I wanted to add 2 mystery snails to my 10gal, but I don't really know what they eat and such. So what I need to know is what I have to do to introduce them and feed them and basic care info. Because I'm not going to trust anything the petstore says about them except how much they cost.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #2 
jman828

anyone?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

www.applesnail.net is a great resource.

Mystery snails have differing sexes unlike most snail species who are hermaphroditic. If you get two you may get eggs laid just above the water line. If you do not want to raise the baby snails you can merely scrape this egg sac off and dispose of it.

Mystery snails do best in lower temperatures but do fine in tropical temps as well. They need a good source of calcium and minerals so hard water is better for them. I would check the pH and gH/kH of your tank just to make sure your water isn't too soft. Generally speaking most public water sources have enough minerals for snails.

Other ways to get calcium to your snails is by feeding them veggie wafers or sticks supplemented with calcium as well as fresh high calcium veggies like spinach. A good rule of thumb is to give your snail food twice weekly and remove it the next day so to not foul the water.

Snails should be acclimated just like fish, first by letting them acclimate to the temp and then slowly acclimated to the change in water. If you buy the snails locally you won't have to acclimate them as long as you would if you got them from another place.

It can take up to a week for them to come out of their shell and begin moving around. Going to a new tank can be stressfull for them but they aren't dead so don't mistakenly throw them out. To know if a snail is dead you have to smell it.. or it will be hanging outside of its shell. If it's on the bottom in it's shell chances are it's just hibernating.

Umm.. lemme think of anything else...

Oh.. if you find that your betta (or other fish) are eating the snail food you can easily remedy this by floating the snail in his own cup with his wafer overnight so he can eat without being bothered.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #4 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
www.applesnail.net is a great resource.

Mystery snails have differing sexes unlike most snail species who are hermaphroditic. If you get two you may get eggs laid just above the water line. If you do not want to raise the baby snails you can merely scrape this egg sac off and dispose of it.

Mystery snails do best in lower temperatures but do fine in tropical temps as well. They need a good source of calcium and minerals so hard water is better for them. I would check the pH and gH/kH of your tank just to make sure your water isn't too soft. Generally speaking most public water sources have enough minerals for snails.

Other ways to get calcium to your snails is by feeding them veggie wafers or sticks supplemented with calcium as well as fresh high calcium veggies like spinach. A good rule of thumb is to give your snail food twice weekly and remove it the next day so to not foul the water.

Snails should be acclimated just like fish, first by letting them acclimate to the temp and then slowly acclimated to the change in water. If you buy the snails locally you won't have to acclimate them as long as you would if you got them from another place.

It can take up to a week for them to come out of their shell and begin moving around. Going to a new tank can be stressfull for them but they aren't dead so don't mistakenly throw them out. To know if a snail is dead you have to smell it.. or it will be hanging outside of its shell. If it's on the bottom in it's shell chances are it's just hibernating.

Umm.. lemme think of anything else...

Oh.. if you find that your betta (or other fish) are eating the snail food you can easily remedy this by floating the snail in his own cup with his wafer overnight so he can eat without being bothered.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thank you for responding 1fish!! :) Very thorough, and I will check out the website you mentioned. I bought them today, acclimated them, and they're moving around a bit and they ate a little bit off their algae wafers, is that ok for them to eat?, it's what I got for their food. They seem to be doing fine. So I feed them twice a week? How Much? I just gave them each one algae wafer which is pretty small, they're topfin algae thins so i gave one for now because im not sure how many to give and you said twice weekly so i will just need to know how many algae thins....and one final question do I just leave them in until they're all eaten up? thanks!! :D
Old 12-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Algae wafers are just fine. I feed my snails them. The two kinds I have one is about the diameter of a pencil and the other is about the size of a dime. The smaller ones I feed two (for one snail) and the big ones I feed a half per meal.

IME they won't eat it all so its best to remove the uneaten portion after 12-24 hours so it doesn't foul the water.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I hear of people actually feeding their snails (or bottom dwellers) when the lights are out, so the Bettas don't snack on the food lol I have 3 Apple Snails in my 15g with my 6 girls. Love these things!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #7 
jman828

Thanks 1f2f!! Pitluvus what do you feed your snails? And how much/often?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

Snails are nocturnal so its best to feed them at lights out but you may still find fish pestering the snail while it eats.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #9 
Silverfang

Even if fed after dark, fish may steal algae wafers (personal experience) at least my girls don't go after the veggies
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

That's been my experience as well.
Posted via Mobile Device