Old 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #1 
Warlock

Male Betta with a sorority of Females?

are there any problems with this..

i have 5 fems and 1 male in 10g?
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #2 
Warlock

does it affect the females having a male in there.. no counting aggression..
Old 12-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #3 
Silverfang

a male and female should only be introduced for breeding. I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, but 5 females and 1 male in a 10 gal is asking for someone to die. Female bettas can be every bit as aggressive and mean as a male. Please find a new home for the male.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #4 
copperarabian

It's a very risky thing to do, and in most cases either the male will attack the females eventually, or the females will attack the male. Either way someone will get serious wounds that may cause death if not noticed soon enough. You should remove the male and give him his own aquarium, even if he's fine in there now eventually his instincts/hormones will kick in if the females haven't already destroyed him.

Only a select few very experienced betta keepers(usually breeders) have managed to keep a community of both male and female, and it's always in a huge heavily planted aquarium, with fish who where raised together from fry. They are able to understand betta behavior and body language in a way the average or new keeper can't see, which allows them to know if a fish should be removed.

If you don't have another tank for the male, try finding a breeding net, or breeding container you can put him in to protect your fish. It can't be a permanent home(he would probably destroy his fins in such a small space) but it will be ok until you are able to get him a heater and aquarium :)

You can get a net breeder for less then $10

and other fish breeders are usually $10-$15, but sometimes come with hoods to keep the fish from jumping out
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #5 
Warlock

thanks.. thats the info i was wondering about.. i have a 5g hex that has some Jap. Marimo Moss Balls i have in qt.. i can move him over there :)

i read about having a male in there may cause female to become egg bound?

is this true?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 
Myates

Some females may become eggy with the male around, but they will either absorb the eggs, or drop them and eat them. Most likely they will want the male away from them and their territory too much to think about having eggs :)
I have my girls sandwiched between my males (in their own tanks) and never had eggs.. it all depends on the female.

I would definitely move him to the 5 gallon.. it is a nice size home perfect for him, and the girls will appreciate it!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #7 
Warlock

Thanks ya'll!