Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #1 
Kestral

Baby Bettas?

Long time no see, eh? I might not reply quickly, as after I type this I'm going to clean Dante's tank.

So, I went to Petco yesterday. It seems that now they have 'baby bettas'. I really want/need to buy one, as I want to be sure it is raised right.
So, I was picking out the stuff I would need. Please tell me if this is good!
- Fish food (bio-gold pellets). I would crush them for the betta.
- Plant. It is soft and has no sharp edges.
- .75 gallon tank. It's a 'keeper' - they made some for aquarium animals. Just while it is a baby. Once the betta gets older, it will move to Royal's old 2.5 gallon tank.
- Stress Coat. Will this be OK to use on a baby betta?
- Gravel

That's all I could think of. I would do a heater, but I don't know if it would be very safe. Plus, I don't know what heater or if it would but the betta in danger!
If I'm missing something, please tell me. I need to know the basic care for babies, if it is different. I know how to care for adults.
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

For a baby betta or "fry' you'll need a bigger tank anyways so go ahead and prep the 2.5 with the heater and the works, your gonna want some BBS eggs to hatch or just buy a sea monkey kit because bio-gold is crapola mostly wheat and are like betta potato chips. BBS and blood worms as your gonna want to give them a good kick in the right direction health wise. I don't recommend gravel until their bigger so they dont get lost. Sorry to say but the .75 will be only good for a waterchange container. Not even a fry needs to be in that thing.

Your gonna want to get a siphon to slowly remove the water to avoid stressing the little fella out and slowly add it in. (I recommend if your using tap to put it on the warm setting so it adjusts better)

Note: I've read tons on breeding and caring for fry but I am by no means an expert. I just wanna help out and I hope my advice does help. They really need live food at this stage you can wean them onto pellets later on.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #3 
Kestral

The bettas are already getting color, so they aren't itty-bitty. I can sort of tell which are males and females.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Well then go for a light covering of gravel then but be careful and make sure to include lots of silk plants maybe even a betta hammock near the top. The little ones really are delicate even more so then their adult counterparts. It'll be a wonderous transformation though from a young fry to a fully grown adult and from what I hear: Baby betta flaring is incredibly, heart melting, adorable.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #5 
Kestral

Would a 1.25 keeper be better? I honestly don't think I should move the baby up to my 2.5... the filter might hurt it.
So, silk plants?
I'll have to go with pellets, as I really don't think I would be able to handle live food. I'm incredibly scared of bugs (except those big, giant pink worms!), and shrimp freak me out. I guess I'm too squeamish at the moment. Besides, I asked my mom if I could get the sea monkey kit and feed it to Royal, but she said no. D: I'll ask again.
I won't be able to get the baby until after I get back from my vacation, because I don't want to leave it unattended for 6 days!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Well there's the option of frozen foods as well as foods designed for infant fish but with the beating they already took in transit as long as you baffle the filter (plenty of tutorials on here on that using sponges) the fry should be fine in the 2.5 a 1.25 gallon is close enough too but I'm not sure if filters are better or not at this age. Again I'm not an expert I've just read a ton and have zero hands on experience. I'm saying going with live or frozen when you first get them to give their immune system a chance to get stronger with the nutrients they provide. Trust me I'm terrified of bugs and worms too. (I'm actually researching tarantula's and boy...Thats a scary experience for an arachnophobe) But in a pinch it's a lot better then giving bio gold pellets. They really are crap.

If you don't want to go that route I suggest getting a high quality food like New Life Spectrum small fish formula 3. mm (or more) pellets they're a lot better then most betta foods and I use it and theres plenty that you can give Royal some too.

I do suggest PMing Darkmoon or OldFishLady though just to be sure.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #7 
Kestral

Actually, Royal is dead. D:
Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

Ack! I'm sorry I got him and your current fish mixed up, brain fart. I am so sorry I'm so tired right now my brain is on half autopilot half here. I'm running on a cup of tea right now.

Again I am so sorry if I offended you it was not my intention.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #9 
Kestral

XD No, it's fine! You didn't offend me at all. :D
Any more tips for babies?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #10 
snowtail

Smile

I got two babies at Petco, one is happy and thriving and the other one I tried to save but he just didn't make it. The one that lived is a female, which I'm so happy because she has great color and is so pretty.
snowtail is offline   Reply With Quote