Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #1 
PSUPride923

Exclamation Need HELP QUICKLY!

I believe Triton has fin rot. I diagnosed it from looking at pictures on here. We got "QuICK Cure; Fast Reief For Ick, Protozoan Parasites and Fin Rot" from WalMart. We noticed it about a week and a half ago ( weekend of the 10th). He was in our big 10 gallon tank out at school. We did a water change and changed the filter. That seemed to help. His fins were looking a lot better. Last wednesday, we packed him up on our journey (40 minutes) to home. We continued to use the drops and of course lowered the dosage because he is in a smaller tank (1.5 gal.).

We woke up this morning and his fins looked horrible! He has some white around his face, almost as if he saw a ghost. His fins looks like someone just sat there with a hot knife and cut them. Also, the small fins (idk the word) his right one seems to be like twitching and sometimes not even moving.

We did a complete water change when we got home, and we just did another one. He is sitting in his cup right now waiting for the new water to get to the right temp. Someone, please help!? :'(

I can't get pictures either because my camera broke.
PSUPride923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 
Myates

Quick Cure is a dangerous drug.. and if even slightly over dose could be harmful.

I would honestly remove him from it and place him in clean water at this point. Just water conditioner in the water. Allow him 24-48hrs rest in the clean, warm water to help his system clear out of the medication.

After that I would do the AQ salt treatment as it usually works great and is easier on the fish.

2 tsp of AQ salt per gallon, daily 100% water changes, for no longer then 10 days. Make sure to dissolve the salt prior to adding him in it, and don't forget the water conditioner.

After some time you should start seeing regrowth of the fins- a clear-ish coloration at the edges.

Is there any plants with him in the tank? Something he could of caught his fins on? Did you use a net? Those are notorious for ripping fins.. is there a filter in the 1.5? Too strong of a current could also cause the rips.

Make sure he still has fin rot before using the AQ salt- the edges are black and flaking off pieces of the fin.. and not fin biting which is common in bettas.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #3 
PSUPride923

we just changed the water and have not put the quick cure in. we will go up to petco tomorrow to get some AQ Salt. In this tank we have a small rubber plant because it is not our permanent tank for Trition. We did use a net to get him out of the big tank for our travels, but I didn't think we scratched his fin. The box for the tank says there is a filter, but it bubbles. It's blue and looks like a cone with the point cut off. And yes, I am definitely going to go with fin rot, it is a yellow/brown at the edges of his bottom fin. He is ghostly white in the face as well.... does that mean anything?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #4 
Myates

It may be due to stress, bacteria, internal parasites, etc.. but it's hard to tell without a picture to see. Do you have access to a cell phone with a camera on it?

Also, while in the little tank- keep an eye on the waste (bare bottom it if you can to keep an eye on it), if it's white and stringy he may have some internal parasites going on.. if it's brown-red then I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about using the filter since you will be doing daily water changes.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #5 
Lissa52664

First I want to say that I am very new to bettas and certainly not a professional at diagnosing/healing them.. Certainly take the advice of more experienced members over anything I say if it is conflicting.

I just wanted to share my story since a very very similar thing happened to my boy's fins a little more than 2 weeks ago. His symptoms also included being very lethargic and clamped fins which you haven't mentioned so it may not be the same issue. He was recently severely overfed by a house sitter so after getting some very helpful advice from this forum and practically harassing Sakura through PM ;) I took out everything in his tank so I could do daily water changes with epsom salt, but after a week he was only getting worse. I think all the overfeeding and stress may have lowered his immune system to the point that he got some sort of infection. I talked to someone at a local fish shop and they told me to use Betta Revive and it sounds a lot like Quick Cure. Sure enough after a day or two a red/brown line developed on his tail along the edge and seemed to be melting away at it.. it got about 1/8" through and what was left just hung there like dead skin. One of his bottom long fins was twitching like your little guy's and also started to melt away.. (sorry I realize this might be a little graphic) He stopped eating and I was sure he would pass but I couldn't stand to see him die on an empty floor in a medicine tank so I added in his rocks and a live plant and did a 100% water change to remove the Betta Revive and added Pimafix (I was informed by Sakura that this med has at least one questionable ingredient in it that could be harmful, but I was desperate and felt l was losing him already anyway). Well... by the next day he was eating.. the next day the red line and dead fin went away.. and now a week later, having just finished the Pimafix course, he is acting perfectly fine and happy again. I definitely wouldn't recommend medicating before anything else. I don't know if it was the Pimafix or just a boost in his moral that the rocks and plant came back... but this is what happened to me and my boy and what the conditions were before he got better.
Lissa52664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #6 
PSUPride923

I tried to upload a picture of his fins... I don't know if it worked or not. but the white has gone away from his face and body. and he is swimming around and being a lot more active just from yesterday to today!
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #7 
Myates

I am glad he is doing better! In some cases, medications can cause adverse reactions and could cause more harm then good. I always try for the conservative treatments first if a treatment is needed and not just clean water. It may of been stress or even excess slime coating he was creating due to the medication in the water.

If he has rot, it may be a mild case as I am not seeing a whole lot of it, just a possibility of it on some of the tips- you can do the AQ salt treatment, or just do every other day 50% water changes for the next 5-7 days and see if that helps clear him up.

Keep us updated on how he is doing!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #8 
PSUPride923

he is such a beautiful fish, i feel so horrible that i can't figure out what is wrong :( but i am so happy that he is doing a little bit better. he just flared at me too as i was going to get my computer, as it was sitting next to his tank!! he is zooming against the sides of his tank like he does at his big on at our apartment at school! we are going to do the water changes for the next couple days and then see how it goes from there! i hope i get my boy back soon! :(
Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #9 
PSUPride923

Hello all,
I just wanted to give an update on my boy. He is doing sooooooo much better like 1298643765 time better! We have been doing a 30-50% water change every other day and it is working like a charm (knock on wood). We did purchase some AQ Salt just in case he took a turn for the worse and we were told it would be good to have on hand, anyway. His fins still have some spots were they have no fully healed, but his progression is what makes me happy! He is so much more lively and he's swimming like a mad man in his tank. Thank you all, for all your advice, encouraging words and caring so much to help me with my boy! :)