Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #1 
Myates

Missing scales question

No Name seems to be missing some of his scales over his head and towards his back. At least to me, that is what it looks like.. little bit of a dip into the body where they are at, the area is paler then the rest of him and it is sort of shiny (for lack of better wording). There is no red nor puffiness, no loose scales, no fungus.

He is young, about 6-8 months at most, I've had him for about two weeks. He's a marathon swimmer and eats normally. He's currently housed in a 2 gallon, doing 1 50% and 1 100% water changes per week on normal basis. Fed 4-6 pellets a day, mix in with flakes (my brand has higher protein in the flakes so I mix it up for him, making sure none fall to bottom of tank).

I know what is needed to care for missing scales, the extra water changes to keep the water clean, tannins, etc. I just can't for the life of me figure out if it is a disease or virus of some sort to cause it, just to rule that out. He is very inquisitive, and will jump out of the water to try to get a water drop off the side of the tank, will root around the bottom, and will squeeze himself between things. Sometimes he gets a little stuck and I have to save him. Pretty much reminds me of a 12 year old boy lol.
I am thinking he lost the scales due to rubbing against something and freaking out, but I just want to be sure it's not something else that can cause it and I just can't think of it. He has only smooth and soft items in his tank. Half rounded glass rocks for the bottom, soft plants, and 2 plastic colored see-through drinking cups he adores that are all smooth edges. So it's not sharp.
Could it be he just rubbed extra hard and lost them? It was just a very few when I first got him, now it seemed to of gotten bigger.

Anyone with any idea about whether or not a disease or something could cause this? If so, what other symptoms would/could show? Or could it be he just somehow lost them rubbing up against something smooth?

Sorry for picture quality, can't get him to stop for more then a few seconds, and I only have a camera phone to use at this time. One is from top of tank to show it's size.. hard to see though =( Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 
Creat

One of my betta has bald patches on him and thats just the way he is, as he grew the areas looked like they were getting larger but really weren't that much larger compared to body size. I doubt its a disease or anything he probably just rubbed a little to hard once.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #3 
Myates

That is what I am thinking, thanks. He doesn't seem affected by it any and is healthy in every other way. I'll just keep his home a little cleaner with tannins for a while. =)
I want to actually decorate his tank, but with how he acts and swims and gets into trouble so much.. I have to keep it pretty bare. Silly guy.. had the cups closer to each other yesterday after a water change and he got stuck between them >.>
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 
mummafish

I'm the new parent mummafish, my iridescent blue male crowntail "Sheldon" suddenly appeared with missing scale..he went missing in his tank for a while, I thought he was just resting....when I finally found him he was wedged between a plant root and a rock..he seems to have rubbed the colour off of his scales? he appears to be okay now but I don't know what to do about the rubbed spots..no blood or cuts just whitish rub marks....what should mummafish do??
mummafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #5 
Myates

Ahh yeah.. this was before I realized what was going on with No Name.. oh how his tank has changed. He was finally able to get into a "big boy" tank semi- still no substrate as I tried again recently and he yet again dug into it and got stuck. So bare bottom he is! This was right after I had gotten him, and before I realized just how much like Johnny Knoxville he is.. and how sick he was

Mumma- if he is missing his scales from trying to get out then I wouldn't worry too much- just make sure to keep up on your weekly water changes so it won't get infected and they should heal up. As long as you don't see any redness or fungus covering the area it should be fine.
You don't need to do any treatment other then making sure to clean the tank weekly unless you see it gets infected.
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 12-20-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #6 
mummafish

Thanks, Myates, Sheldon looks better today but is spitting out his food, will try to feed him later on, he may be full still from yesterday.
mummafish.
mummafish is offline   Reply With Quote