Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #1 
beatlesmania

Somethings wrong with my Betta :(

Hey, so I just recently got a betta fish last Wednesday and he was doing fine. I did some research and discovered it was probably a good idea to get a heater, so I had to go out and buy a new tank for him along with a heater.
He seems fine in his new tank, but he spends 99% of his time either on top or beside the heater and I've noticed his fins/tail look shriveled up.
I thought it was possibly fin rot, but it doesn't seem to fit the symptoms.
I haven't tested his water as I'm a bit short on money right now due to Christmas, but I should be getting some within the next few days.
Please Help!!
*I'm stilling trying to get a good picture of him, he's a bit camera shy*

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.7 liters, Aquaview Aquarium Kit
What temperature is your tank? 76-78F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Max
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day or once every two days.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Betta Plus Tap Water Conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his tail is shriveled up and the tips of his fins are white
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's not as active and stays in one corner of the tank with the heater
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I placed him from his old tank into his new tank with the heater which was about 2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure. I got him on Dec. 14 from Petcetera.

Last edited by beatlesmania; 12-19-2011 at 04:53 PM.
beatlesmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #2 
Myates

Shriveled up, are you meaning that they are clamped and close to the body?

For less then a gallon (your 3.7L) unfiltered it is very highly recommended to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change each week- as smaller tanks build up ammonia and nitrates rather quickly which will cause poisoning and possible death if it gets too high.

It sounds as if it is a mix of water quality and not enough nutrition..
I recommend now doing a 100% water change with water conditioner.

Are the white edges of the fins cotton-fluffy looking or just the coloration of the fins changed?

Feed daily, small meals.. are you using flakes or pellets? For flakes, small pinches twice a day (morning and evening), removing any uneaten within minutes of feeding.. for pellets, which is recommended more in smaller tanks, 2-3 pellets per meal, twice a day.

Keep an eye on the temp with a thermometer, as heating a tank that is less then a gallon (4L) can be very dangerous as the temp may raise too much.

Once you start doing the proper water changes and feeding daily you should start seeing a big difference in his health and personality.
Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 
beatlesmania

I feed him flakes, but after Christmas I'm switching him to pellets. and I've attached two pictures of him, and as for the white with his fins, I just checked again, and they look almost fluffy, but at the same time they just look like discoloration.
Attached Images

Last edited by beatlesmania; 12-19-2011 at 05:00 PM.
beatlesmania is offline   Reply With Quote