Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 
LyzzaRyzz

Unhappy Bettas had Ick, and now External Parasites..Help! [ and a few other questions!]

Okay, so two weeks ago, i got two male veiltails, and had them in seperate one gallon fish bowls til I could get a more suitable tank. I managed to get a 2.5 gal, and made a divider for it. I have a heater and an internal filter.
Problem is, I cant get it heated properly on both sides!
And since they are sick, I need to raise the temp to aid in the Betta Revive and salt treatments.
Also, What is the proper way to sterilize gravel after sickness?
In my into post, I got advice to not have any gravel on the bottom of the tank while they are sick, tyo monitor the scales falling off and parasites dropping.
Im trying my best, but my babies only seem to be getting sicker!
Well, their appearances seem to be getting worse, but thier activity level, eating habits, everything is pretty good..except for the few scales falling off, and the occasional spasm, you wouldent know they were sick.
But I watch them like a hawk, Cause i figured they would get some sort of illness, but not two!
Help!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #2 
LyzzaRyzz

And btw, I know 2.5 is a little small, I am getting a new tank[s] for christmas, which i have dubbed "Fishmas", cause alli want this year is fish supplies!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Can you possibly post pics of your babies? Are they rid of the ich and what kind of external parasites do you think they have?

Best way to sterilize gravel after an ick or parasite bout is hot water and then a drop or two of praziquantel. If you can't get the prazi, hot water and vinegar should do the trick. Dump the gravel into a bucket to rinse it, or if you can, use a colander and the sink.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #4 
LyzzaRyzz

I thought they were done with the ick, but now theres a few spots that came back. And im not sure of the parasites, all i know is that they have spots of missing scales, and are flashing every once in a while. the spots with out scales dont look all that sore-ish, like pictures ive seen, but im pretty sure they have them. Unless this is just a particuarly bad case of ick?

And I cant seem to get any good pictures of them right now, thier somehow making themselves almost invisible to the camera, but if you look in my profile, theres a little collage of them the day i took them home.. Im going to keep trying to get pictures, but all i have is my itouch camera..
One of my bettas is clamped, but the other isnt.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #5 
PixelatedPaint

I have had several bettas with ich who darted and scratched so hard that they tore off scales....they grew them back within days though. This may be a possibility.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #6 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedPaint View Post
I have had several bettas with ich who darted and scratched so hard that they tore off scales....they grew them back within days though. This may be a possibility.

Hmm...I wonder if thats it. I can still treat ick with Betta Revive right?
Its so frustrating not knowing what it is!
I want my boys healthy!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #7 
PixelatedPaint

I've never used that one. I've used both salt and heat as well as api ich cure. These were the best for my location. We probably have less variety in our stock than you.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #8 
StarBetta

This case is just like Captain America's (my marble). If any of your medicine heals your fish, TELL ME! My poor fish is losing color and scratching his gill covers every 2 minutes! :-'(
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #9 
PixelatedPaint

star, maybe gill flukes?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #10 
LyzzaRyzz

Its so distressing!
Cause they cant tell you its working, and even though before bed, then might seem like thier getting better, when you wake up, thier clamped up and their eyes are glazed!

And since i havent has ANY money, I havent been able to buy Aquarium salt, so ive been using table salt...I know its not as good, but its non iodized, and i dont have any epsom salt...The last money i got, i bought a heater, then had to return it and get an even more expensive one..