Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

remodeling 5 gal! !!! HELP

okayyy so I have a 5 gal setup

So I wanted to do a NPT since I am now on winter break
so questions I have are:

substrate- I heard I could use organic miracle grow potting mix with a sand cap
any other suggestions??

Filter- I have one which I plan on using it, although I heard once It sets up you wont really much need it anymore?

snails - I heard people use burrowing snails to keep the substrate from becoming anoxic. should I look into that?

lights- what type of bulbs should I use for my hood?

plants - How many rooted plants should I have? I have Java fern and some anacharis, I'd like to have micro sword, anubais , a mossball, possibly java moss, any other suggestions??

At the moment I only have my hmpk dragon Hiroki in there, I'd like to keep him in there, maybe add the burrowing snails- not sure what they're called.

So yes, any experienced plant keepers please let me know! I'm going to New York for a week so I'm posting now so that I can gather extra information before I start buying! Any and all Advice please let me know! thanks !!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

the snails you speak of are called trumpet snails... good luck finding them, i couldn't find any.

lights: GE true daylight 6500k or equivlent.

Plants 75% bottom planted with fully-aquatic stem type plants, and then 25% cover with floating plants.

supposedly the filter can be removed eventually, i'm not sure when.

Oldfishlady gave me most of that advice when i set up my NPT. She'll be the one to talk to for more detailed advice on plant species, what you've got there is a good start.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

hmm maybe aquabid? I would love to find them. I'd love her advice on what to put in my tank, I'm hoping she sees this post
Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

oh and thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #5 
EvilVOG

didn't think to look there. If you can find them anywhere that would probably be the place.

Edit: yup 20 for $10... http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ils&1323396057

they look alot like the "nuicence" snails at lps'... i wonder if they're the same?

Last edited by EvilVOG; 12-08-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #6 
Anitax3x

ok thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #7 
Myates

The lights you have to go by the plant's needs.. their individual needs. OFL gave you the numbers for what your plants need, but that doesn't apply to other's.

Malaysian trumpet snails- they breed easily, so get one.. if you get two then you may have to do the lettuce trick to keep them from over running too much.

Unsure by what you mean you won't much need what once it's set up? The filter?

The ones you listed are great, and easy to care for, medium to low light.

I would go ahead and PM OFL or Pewpewpew for plant information that will best suit what you have/want.. since the lighting and ferts will depend on what you get.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #8 
bastage

I would not pay 10 bucks for MTS's.. It took me going to a few LFS, but when I found one with them I got about 30 of them for a buck.. It was labeled in there system as Bag'O'Snails.. You might also look for a local aquarium forum as there almost impossible to completely kill off once a tank has them.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #9 
Anitax3x

Oh but are they good for the soil ? Or not worth the trouble?And thanks for all the advice!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #10 
EvilVOG

they burrow in the sand releasing gasses that get trapped among the plant roots to prevent anerobic spot, while introducing oxygen to them promoting growth. otherwise you have to stab the substrate with a chopstick or a skewer every day or so.

And the lights cost the same, so if you're buying new lights, buy the highest kelvin rating ones off the bat. (you has the same plants i have)

Last edited by EvilVOG; 12-08-2011 at 12:09 PM.