Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #1 
MorganC2010

Question Tiny Betta??

Hello all, Im currently at a friends house, who actualy got me hooked on bettas in the first place and everytime i'm over here it makes me want a new one but that is beside the point.
Several months ago she received a new betta from her roomate. Over the phone she always told me how small it was. I didn't believe it untill i saw it. He is TINY! Here is a pic of him next to the metal part of a standard wooden pincil.

He is a pale almost see through yellow/orange color. and no he doesnt have black spots on his tail that was just on the glass. The water is clean it was just poor lighting.
She has tried several types of food, but he has never gotten bigger and he really doesnt seem to like to eat she has told me. He doesnt have other syptoms other than being so small. These pictures doesnt do his tiny size justice. I have 3 bettas at home so I feel like his size cant be normal, can it? That is why I just posted this in the picture forum because I don't think its a disease, is he just small? Feedback is greatly apperacated.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #2 
PixelatedPaint

He is so cute! Maybe his growth was stunted. some breeders do this on purpose but i've never seen a betta that small at that age.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #3 
MorganC2010

His size at his age is what has been stumping me, as well as that he doesn't like to eat. My Bettas love to eat lol. It's funny bc her bf has a massive betta and hers is tiny. Well thanks for ur input!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hmm I think it is the same problem my Rose has. All her sisters have doubled in size, actually barely a week after I got them from the store. But she has not.

He may be stunted. whether on purpose or accidental (or ill care from petstore ) maybe this'll help...

feed him live foods. most bettas cannot resist live food. Or, pellets (or any food for that matter) given to him after they have been soaked in garlic juice.
you can also fast him a day of the week, which not only helps digestion but can maybe get his hunger motor running
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #5 
Luimeril

if you or your friend can find some(may have to order online), get some New Life Spectrum Grow. they're tiny pellets, perfect for small bettas, and are high in protein, which may help him grow.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #6 
MorganC2010

Thanks! We'll have to check it out!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

He reminds me of one of my first bettas. I love the cellophane colour.

Looking at the pictures you took, it is possible he could have worms. He looks slightly hollow through his body, and the presence of internal parasites can sometimes turn them off food.

I usually de-worm any bettas I purchase as a precaution. Simply because I don't know what conditions they were kept in prior to my care and I don't want to spread anything through my fish room.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #8 
MorganC2010

Worms, Hrm this could be, he has has some strange poo when I cleaned his tank. What types of dewormer do u suggest?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

If his poo is stringy or clear-coloured, that can indicate something is not quite right. I think people over there recommend Jungle Labs Parasite Clear for treating internal parasites. Not sure about the cost of it, but it seems fairly easy to get a hold of.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #10 
MorganC2010

It was clear but not quite stringy. After talking with my friend I think we have determened it is a mix of worms and not cleaning the tank enough. He is in a 1/2 to 1 gal tank so I told her she needs to do at least a 50% and a 100% change every week. I will also look for better food for him to see if he likes it better. Thanks everyone for your help.

Tags
small, tiny