Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 
kfryman

Algae

Okay so my 2.5g tank with Kei has algae and I want it gone. It is on the plants which are live and on my white gravel so it is super obvious. Could it be because the gravel is white and is brighter than the natrual rocks? My 5g tank with Faron has natural rocks and the only algae is in the filter because the light is over the filter, they are both the same tank but just one is smaller in size.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #2 
Sakura8

What kind of algae is it? Green, brown, kind of hair-like? I sympathize because I am having a problem with hair algae.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #3 
kfryman

It is green and now is growing into hairs. I think I am going to get a new small plant because I got one and it seems that it isn't for aquariums because no matter what the leaves die. but yes algae is so annoying. -_-
Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #4 
Sakura8

I second that. I'd recommend either PMing OFL or waiting for her to find this thread because she knows the most about these kinds of things. Sorry, I wish I could help you. :(
Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #5 
kfryman

It is all good, at least you are willing to try to help. I will PM OFL to check it out. I am not in good moods when my tanks aren't doing good. I read in another thread that you are pretty good with sororities, if so I will PM you to talk about it so I can learn all of what I need.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Sure, I'd be more than happy to help with sororities. That I know. Algae . . . ugh. All I know is I hate it.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #7 
kfryman

Second that!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

Chances are, if you have algae like that, something is off balance. Algae is only as bad as you allow it to become, so working to fix what causes it will help greatly.

First, what kind of light do you have? I find that incandescent lights give me algae. Consider switching to CFL's to give better, more effective light. (Try 5500-6500K daylight)

Also, how long is the light on? After about 8 hours, plants dont really use light. Any more than that probably will give you trouble. Cut back on light to avoid this.

Do you dose fertilizers? Do not over dose. If you have plants that dont really use ferts as quick as, say, stem plants, dose a bit less (ex. java fern and anubias dont need ferts in doses like a tank with anacharis)

Every time you add fertilizer, do a small water change to remove nutrients the plants havent used. Algae cant eat what it doesnt have to munch on!

Manually remove the algae as best you can.

Leaving a small amount of (controlled) algae can help prevent an outbreak. This bit is great because it keeps other algae at bay and eats what they try to-- consider getting a dark rock in the back of the tank and just let it do its own thing. Cant see it, but itll help you in time.

The only REALLY BAD algae you can get is BBA, black brush. Its scary and gross.

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae/bba1.jpg
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Yikes, that BBA looks like a rabid moss ball!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #10 
PixelatedPaint

First thing... remove the suspected non aquatic plant. this is fouling your tank. Nest remove ornament and to a vinegar-water rinse..rinse them. I would check around where you tank is...is there direct light? if so and if possible move the tank. Cover the tank and the algae should die over time...it needs light to grow. once algae is gone and tank is moved if need be, start regulating lighting time. For how long and how often.

A trick to telling if it is aquatic when you buy...smell the roots...if its even slightly unpleasant then do not buy. Luckily I know most of the names of the plants I buy. Most aquatic plants have many stringy like roots and they are not connected at the bottom of the stems in a bulb like manner. If the roots or lower part of the stems are turning a pinkish color...shy off.

Last edited by PixelatedPaint; 12-19-2011 at 09:25 AM.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote