Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #1 
LoveMyBettas8885

Exclamation Dividers... Pleeeeease give me your input!

Here's a video I recorded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhWLnGXnFA

I'm so excited about having the 10 gallon aquarium but I'm so paranoid about the divider. I've seen you tube videos of dividers that look more sturdy, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDS0pvoYxnY

That's the one I want! But I don't know if maybe it's sold at Petco? I didn't see it Petsmart, I'm going to check Petco tomorrow. By the way.. the heater is a 50 watt, I hope that's good enough for this size aquarium?

Please let me know if the bubbles is too much... I'm a paranoid fish mommy! lol

Thank you for responding
LoveMyBettas8885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #2 
Super Sly

Yea petco sells those but they are expensive like15 or 16 dollars and you have to do a ton of trimming for it to fit but it is sturdy I have on in one of my tens. A 50 watt heater is enough if its one that is preset keep a close eye on it sometimes they over heat or don't heat it enough or sometimes just straight out don't work.

Last edited by Super Sly; 12-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #3 
bastage

so a couple of things that can be easy to make the divider more sturdy.. If it is a good fit where it goes all the way up to the plastic rim on the aquarium you can use the normal divider edge things (report binders) & run them from left to right to make the divider stay upright. Also running across the center to keep the width helps some as well. Same thing can be dine with the binders on the bottom under the substrate.. Otherwise a little silicone works as well.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #4 
Super Sly

Sorry don't mean to be a thread jacker but bastage could you give some examples of silicone that is aquarium safe but not marketed like that? I currently have a 55 I'm setting up and I need something to hold the deviders in place and no one around here sells the report binders.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #5 
LoveMyBettas8885

What about the bubbles? Is it too much?
LoveMyBettas8885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #6 
kathstew

The bubbles are fine. Its because you just set up the tank, they are just air bubbles. :P

I had the same divider from petsmart. Personally, I prefer making them. I bought my first divider, then made the rest of mine, and the hand-made ones were much sturdier in my opinion.
Here is the link to the tutorial: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025

Edit: If you swipe at the bubbles with your hand or a fish net they will float/go away
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sly View Post
Sorry don't mean to be a thread jacker but bastage could you give some examples of silicone that is aquarium safe but not marketed like that? I currently have a 55 I'm setting up and I need something to hold the deviders in place and no one around here sells the report binders.
GE Silicone Windows and Doors TYPE I. DO NOT get the Type II, that stuff has anti-mold in it. The TYPE I will be cheaper of the two option. That's what I use in my tanks, just let it set for 48-72H after applying it.

-----------------

I have dividers that are siliconed in. It's permanent, but I can remove the silicone with a flat razor blade when I wish to turn the tank back to a normal tank. I just put black electrical tape on the outside to cover the silicone and divider and it looks perfect :)
Attached Images

Last edited by Pitluvs; 12-17-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #8 
allan47

I'm afraid I believe in keeping them in separate tanks rather than using dividers.
allan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I bought a divider from Petsmart and was greatly disappointing. I had to end up using silly putty to keep the hooks from slipping. The holes are so small they don't make for great water transfer. I prefer making them using this tutorial: Tank Dividers @ petfish.net

I actually put two dividers in a tank to divide the tank into three sections: the middle section (the smallest section) is where I keep the bubble filter and the heater.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan47 View Post
I'm afraid I believe in keeping them in separate tanks rather than using dividers.
I thought this at first with my Bettas, and for the first 3 months I did use separate tanks. But, with the numbers I have... it's a fire hazard with how many plus I need to properly give my Bettas everything they need. I'm talking 3 plugs per tank multiplied by 8 = 24? Not safe. But 3 divided tanks means I only need 3 heaters, 3 lights and 5 filters = 11. I'm also fine with 3g per Betta, I would not put them in anything over 5g.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote