Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 
homerun79

Looking for advice on overhead light use and ideas for hiding places :)

I just read online somewhere that they recommended having your tank light on for at least 8 hours a day, but didn't really explain why...I thought I read on here that less light is better for bettas that natually living in murky waters :) Just curious how often most of you light up your tank?

I have a fluval chi tank with the led lights that shine down, they seem bright if I look up at them myself so I don't think the fish would be all that excited about that kind of lighting... The tank is beside a window but it faces north so the sun never comes through it directly.

Secondly they were recommending installing some hiding places to reduce the stress of the betta, that seemed to make sense, yet I hadn't read that on the beginners guides here. What do you folks recommend for some hiding spots? Would the little caves/tunnels they sell for shrimp/crayfish be suitable?

Thanks everyone!
homerun79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #2 
Anitax3x

lights tend to stress my boys out , but some others like the light, it depends on the fish, I prefer some natural light, and when I want to use overhead lights, its in tanks with plants. The 8 hours of light I believe is not for bettas.
As far as hiding spots go , bettas LOVE them. It keeps them entertained and they don't stress as much when they have a good hiding spot
I recommend any cave that can 1) have a stocking or woman's panty hose run over it without snagging and 2) has holes that you can fit your thumb into without getting stuck. Because trust me if there is a hole, the betta will try and squeeze into it lol .
Also You could add silk plants, that pass the panty hose test as well, I like real plants. I would recommend Anubias, I just let mine float, they don't need fertilizer, and just low light (light from a window, not direct) and my boys sleep on them its cute.
Hope that helped!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun79 View Post
I just read online somewhere that they recommended having your tank light on for at least 8 hours a day, but didn't really explain why...I thought I read on here that less light is better for bettas that natually living in murky waters :) Just curious how often most of you light up your tank?

I have a fluval chi tank with the led lights that shine down, they seem bright if I look up at them myself so I don't think the fish would be all that excited about that kind of lighting... The tank is beside a window but it faces north so the sun never comes through it directly.

Secondly they were recommending installing some hiding places to reduce the stress of the betta, that seemed to make sense, yet I hadn't read that on the beginners guides here. What do you folks recommend for some hiding spots? Would the little caves/tunnels they sell for shrimp/crayfish be suitable?

Thanks everyone!
The lighting thing you mentioned is for plants, not for the fish itself. Plants usually need about 8 hours of light a day.

To be honest, your fish doesnt need light like that at all. It needs an appropriate day/night cycle like you or I, though. Leave the light on when youre around and can admire him or wanna play, and certainly make sure you shut it off when you're not around and at night.

Some bettas like caves, others ignore them. TBH, its not really even proper to say "bettas need caves", because they really dont. In high traffic areas, like if the fish is in a room that gets a lot of people and noise, either dense plants (fake or otherwise) is just as good, too.

The only thing you really need to think about with any kind of cave is if the fish can easily swim in and out... Usually a quarter in diameter for each and every single exit is the rule. Bigger is better, too. Bettas are even known to shove their little heads (and die...) into the small holes in the bottom of terracotta pots. Be careful!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote