Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #1 
Anitax3x

Is 2.5 gal too small for NPT?

I'm going to be doing a NPT with my 5 gal, but before I go get supplies, I was wondering is a 2.5 gal heated and filtered too small ?? I intend to gather all info before I proceed, if it is possible, what should I have to be successful?
Any and all advice is welcome Thanks guys!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #2 
Zappity

Nah, it should be fine :) My anubias actually do better in my 2.5 than in my 5 gal... :P
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 
Anitax3x

I wanted to have a whole load of stuff in there
micro swords
java ferns
anubias
anacharis
and possibly java moss and cambomba
so I hope that should be good
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #4 
Silverfang

a few extra stems plants (cabomba) couldn't hurt. I have some doing quite well, even with minimal lighting.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #5 
kfryman

The thing with swords is they will get to big after a while.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I have several 1-2 gallon-dirt based NPT's, however, I don't use any added filtration or water movement in them....just the plants as the filter...I do have to make more frequent water changes on the smaller NPT's than my larger filtered and unfiltered NPT's....(see pics in my album)
Once mature (about 3 mo) I make at least one monthly 50-60%...plants work great as filters provided that you have enough of the right species and they are actively growing

With your plan I would recommend more stem plants and some floating plants...naja grass, rotala, ludwigia, wisteria work well in the smaller dirt based NPT's...I like water lettuce for floaters....

What kind of light do you have, age of bulb, kelvin, watts and photoperiod.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #7 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
With your plan I would recommend more stem plants and some floating plants...naja grass, rotala, ludwigia, wisteria work well in the smaller dirt based NPT's...I like water lettuce for floaters....
wisteria? really.. I only question this as the wisteria I bought for my 20 long grew up & out of the water in just a few weeks (they started a couple inches below the surface). One of them got transplanted to my 29g & its not far from the surface there. It just seems like wisteria would grow too tall too fast to be worthwhile.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #8 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
wisteria? really.. I only question this as the wisteria I bought for my 20 long grew up & out of the water in just a few weeks (they started a couple inches below the surface). One of them got transplanted to my 29g & its not far from the surface there. It just seems like wisteria would grow too tall too fast to be worthwhile.
Wisteria can be trimmed though and either make new plants or you can just toss it. Some plants can be trimmed some can't just gotta learn about the plant. Mine grows like crazy and I should cut it soon. Wisteria is a super easy plant though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #9 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Wisteria is a super easy plant though.
For sure have to agree with this one.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #10 
Jodah

Search for other sites for all your NPT needs my friend. Plenty of people there have 2.5g tanks. Most run shrimp though. It seems most who do bettas in an NPT doa 5.5

My fave and most inspiration 5.5g planted betta tank: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvPZ2sIYQYE"]5.5 Gallon Planted Betta Extravaganza.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-21-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: links removed to other fish forums
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote