Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #1 
fishyfishy86

Success!

I finally got my bettas to eat! It was frozen bloodworms which I find kinda gross but they have to eat something I guess. Such a relief. Bet my corys will be pleased too.
fishyfishy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #2 
fishyfishy86

What to feed Betta

Well I thought I'd found success with bloodworms but then I'm told you can't feed them as a staple diet. Now I'm back where I started.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #3 
styggian

Mine like both the Hikari bio-gold and the New Life Spectrum betta formula. NLS is a better quality but sinks often so if I don't want to basically hand feed, I put in some Hikari. They will even nibble at the pellet I drop for the shrimp a couple times a week too. Mine get freeze dried bloodworms every few days, I haven't had any picky eaters.

What else have you tried? The bloodworms will give him at least some nutrition for now, but it'd be like us eating nothing but fried chicken. Sure you can survive for a while (and oh man would that be tasty!) but eventually you'd get sick from malnutrition and lack of variety. Granted, humans are omnivores so we have more options, but a carnivore, in my experience, is a bit less forgiving of such situations.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #4 
fishyfishy86

We don't have those here. The local pet shop sold me a new tropical fish flake with a high fish content called omega one. I tried it this morning and none of my fish would eat it lol. I'm going to persist with it though cos it sounds very good for them and they'll have that or nothing. period. I'm surprised my platys turned their noses up at it though. They are always hungry. It can't be that bad can it?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #5 
fishyfishy86

I was just looking at trademe which is like a very small scale ebay and they had some hikari products but they were mostly for cichlids. The had some floating tropical sticks, do you think they might go for those? And some pellets but they just sink. The products were all very expensive though so I don't really want to buy it if they aren't going to eat it.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #6 
fishyfishy86

Not such a success

My Bettas will now eat bloodworms but they can't live on that alone. They still aren't taking flakes. Do I just persist with the flakes until they get hungry enough?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #7 
Myates

At least for now the blood worms are giving them some nutrition- continue using the flakes.. if you have to, don't feed for 2-3 days then try the flakes. Make sure to not over feed with flakes and remove any uneaten so they don't foul up the water.

The frozen blood worms are good, high in fiber- it's just other nutrition that won't be in them. If you can get them to eat the flakes a few meals a week and the rest the blood worms then that is better then just the blood worms.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote