Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #1 
dbawab

Help please, beta cold and sick :(!

It is cold now and my tropical betta does not seem happy with that! He now sleeps all the time and hides almost all the daylong in his castle. He's also stopped doing bubble nests-or does them rarely- :(((. I am not having a heater in my house -if so, I would have put him in a room with a heater-. He is in a relatively small/average-sized plastic tank now- bigger than the vase he used to be in at the pets ‘shop-. So, I am not sure which kind of water heaters should I buy him . I found 200w heaters at the pets’ shops in my district- the only available but I can adjust the temperature according to what the sellers told me- but I am still concerned that’s might be too much for a small tank.

Though I cannot afford expensive stuff now, I want my little pal to be warm and happy again !! Any ideas here?
(Important note: I removed the gravel as he was undergoing a treatment for a bacterial infection-got it when I was having a mandatory travel for ten days and left him to someone that apparently didn’t get well how to handle him-. I cleared the tank –apart from the castle -to be able to administer his antibiotic dose and clean it easily until he recovers, should I put the gravel back?).
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE
dbawab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

Do you know what his water tempature is?

It takes about 5 watts to heat up one gallon of water. I have 25 watt heaters for my small tanks ranging in size from 3-5 gallons. 200 watts would be for something much larger, like a 50 gallon tank.

can you order a heater online? I know there are a few ebay sellers that have 25 watt heaters for sale in both US and Europe voltage systems.

I live in Alaska and in winter the tempature outside can drop to -60F and when it does, it gets really cold in here so I need to have heaters for my fishies.

Also, how often do you change his water? If it's not changed often enough, sometimes the fish will hide alot or just float at the top of the tank or lay on the bottom and not move.

as for the gravel, I dont think it will matter if you put it back in his tank. If its easier to clean, it may be best to leave it out till he is done with the medication.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-14-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

well i don't think medication would hurt the gravel, usually we do bare bottom so we can watch for bowel movements, or other stuff on the floor. You can put it back with your next water change.

200w is a big heater. Usually for a tank that's 20 gallons/ 75 litres. Maybe try calling some online stores and see if they ship to Egypt.

5 watts per gallon is what we usually reccomend. That's like 5w per 3.75 liters. But i advise to stay away from anything that says it is "preset". get something slightly more powerful if that's the case.

can you measure the tank? Maybe we can help you figure out what size it is exactly.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

I am not sure what state do you live ,what is the temperature in your room. You can put any thermometer in your room to check the temperature.

Maybe he is sleeping due to something else. How often do you change the water ,and you need to know how big is his tank. If you don't know size you can meager it with a gallon from the spring water.

One of my tank is 2.5 gall but i really using heaters for 5-10 gall but it working fine. It not perfect situation but it working. I think you still need to find out the size of your tank.

If your room about 72* your betta will be fine. Someone i know have betta for long time in 70*.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

BETTA, He's in Cairo, Egypt :) Boy would I love to visit Cairo!

You have tons of great advice, just wanted to say Welcome to the forum and hope your Betta feels better soon :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

I also think if you are treating your betta you would treat him with that gravel. You don't need to take it out, because you will treat betta and the gravel will get treatment too. I think that because if you had sick betta with that gravel then gravel might still have bacteria. Or make sure you boil it and air dry completely.

Also just want to give you information about Aquarium salt. If your betta sick but still active and eating you can treat him with Aquarium salt or Epsom salt depending on the symptoms. It very effective and i think medications very helpfull but sometimes you can substitute it with salt treatment and don't stress fish too much.

I also know very good medications TETRACYCLINE API which treats gram negative and gram positive bacteria . A lot of the time bacterial infection can be secondary to fungal so someone teach me to mix those two together and it very effective but i still like salts treatment first ,depending on the symptoms
Old 12-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

Egypt i should Google the temperature...i am wondering what the coldest temperature there :)
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I am not sure what state do you live
They live n Egypt which in my mind is HOT. It can't get that cold there, can it? Then again, it gets up to 100F here in summer. However, right now it is -7F .
According to the weather channel it's 60F in Cairo right now...

wanna trade?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

60 F too cold for betta. Diffenetelly need heater.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #10 
dbawab

Thank you much

I immensely appreciate the very useful information and suggestions (and to Pitluvs, the welcome too)!
The tank is around 2 gal and the temperature now is 59 F (yet it drops -these days- usually to 54F-50 F during the late nights and early mornings). So, from what I read I can now assume that I should get a heater as soon as I can. I will try to look in other pets’ stores out of my district to,hopefully, find an adequate heater soon. If not, I have nothing but the internet (as suggested) but which I expect to take some time. I will also try to mix the antibiotic I have with the water salt (anyway he looks better now -eats better at least- but cold !). I do a regular water cleaning now almost daily and a 75% or complete change every two/three days (hope that is ok (?)). Also, I am grateful for the note about treating the gravel as I haven’t, so I will make sure to do so before put it back.

AGAIN, THANKS A MILLION! Greets from Cairo
dbawab is offline   Reply With Quote