Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

Does he have any issue with getting to the top of the tank? Like, can he swim normal when he does dart around?

I made my suggestion thinking he was pineconed as Epsom salts is what can work for that, but now I'm really not sure what to suggest. Mix up the Epsom salts anyways, and hopefully someone can direct you better. Can you get video or pictures of him?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #12 
MMad1121

Yea, if I didn't know he was so sickly, and walked in on him swimming around, he's pretty normal looking. I wish he would just poof back to normal! Although, Ill have to check to see if he makes it to the top, because I don't recall him doing so.

I'll try to post pictures in a little bit. If I can, I could try to get a video from my iPhone and post it on here. I hope no one will be offended as I may have to agitate him a little to get him to swim. He doesn't respond to taps on the glass, so I may have to physically touch him to get him to move. I have only done that once, just to clarify that I'm not sitting here bugging a dying fish.

I'll certainly try to catch him in motion though.

It's getting to the point where I'm starting to get attached to this little guy, and try as I might not to name him (for fear of getting too attached and losing him) names are swirling around in the back of my mind!
MMad1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #13 
Pitluvs

I always name mine, so if they pass, they had a name. Makes them more a pet than a purchase :) Hope you can get the video up, maybe that will show what's wrong with him. I'm about to message another member who may be able to help too :)
Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #14 
MMad1121

Thank you so much. I appreciate that there are some caring people out there and I'm glad I came to this forum. I wish there was a way to get bettas out of Walmart for good.

I don't know what time it is where you are, but I'll certainly post something tonight, and if nothing else it will be there for you in the morning.

Thanks again for caring, and for your suggestions. I am actually relieved no one said he was a lost cause.

Mackenzie
Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #15 
Pitluvs

I have taken some home that were a lost cause, according to the pet store and some that were so bad off, but the pet store said they were fine. I actually have a boy in a hospital tank right now that can't leave the surface of the water. He's stuck, hoping he keeps pooping enough to get the blockage out and swim normally :) But the way I see it, if they do pass, they were loved and safe which is much better than dying in a dirty walmart cup. Thankfully, I bought the last Betta sold at our Walmart back in 2005 :) Ours don't sell them, or fish anymore.

It's 2:15am, I'm heading off to bed. But I messaged two members who are much better at this situation than me and hopefully they will be over to help soon. The video will help... and if you can... can you fill this out for them?? Good luck, and nights!

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #16 
gossipgirl1031

Pitluvs-I agree. The Walmarts in my area no longer sell them either. I felt so bad for them and every one of them I brought home was very ill. Few made it.

Mackenzie-good luck! It's really hard not to get attached to them, even if you know the survival chances aren't good. Hopefully your guy does better than my last 2. I got bad news tonight when I went to check on the babies and my tiniest boy is beginning to show signs of SBD, Not wanting to swim or surface and floating funny. I keep his tank immaculate & have done everything right for him. I've had him about a week and is so small. I've given him some epsom and hope he improves overnight. I forgot to ask, is he eating? If it's SBD, you'll want to fast him for awhile and hope he passes anything blocking his system.

And to both of you, I name all of mine too. Even if it is just for a small period of time, they were loved and cared for.

Good luck & fingers crossed for your guy!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #17 
MMad1121

Ok, i am relatively ashamed at this point because some of my answers to these questions arent ideal. I dont know much about him given i just brought him home this evening, however here are the answers I can provide at this time:

1. The tank is only .5 gallon. I didnt want to get anything too in depth in case he died tonight. I just wanted him out of the Walmart water.

2. Not sure what the temp is. I know I should have the temp warm and constant, but I haven't grabbed a thermometer.

3. The tank does not have a filter

4. There is no form of aeration

5. The tank is not heated.

6. He does not have tank mates

Feeding
He has not been fed at this time, but I do have flake food and pellets.
As far as my personal feeding routines, the betta I am currently babysitting for a friend is fed twice daily.

Maintenance
I clean my friends bettas bowl twice a week, doing about a 20% water change each time.
The only additive I use is a dechlorinator.

I am a little embarrassed to say I have never tested betta water before. The only betta currently in my care belongs to an out of state friend who couldn't take him home with her. He is very healthy, but I was never instructed to check the water by his owner.
As far as the sick betta, his water hasn't been tested as he was in very dirty water when he was rescued, and is now in clean water.

As far as symptoms and treatment, I've tried Bettafix, only to find out that it isn't good to give Bettafix to bettas. I've only had him for a few hours since rescuing him from Walmart. So I do not know how long he has been in this condition.
His behavior is very off when compared to a normal betta fish. He lies on his back an awful lot, and occasionally darts around the tank before coming to rest again. If I didn't see his gills moving, I'd assume he was dead.
He also has some sort of parasite or bacteria, as there are red bumps on his body, especially on the tips of his fins and he also has one on his eyeball.

Hope this helps a little.

Mackenzie
Old 12-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

I was going to assume septicemia, because of the red... but it sounds like a parasite... Has he beforehand had white spots? That is ich and sometimes when they drop off they can leave open wounds (red spots) which can get infected. being in the dirty water, it is very easy to assume this could have happened, and septicemia is a very very high chance if it was or is a parasite. septicemia, is when filthy water enters wounds of a fish, basically as if a human has fecal matter in their wound... it can cause terrible damage and even death if not treated right away.

A picture is definiely needed :) If you can! The only thing I can think of right now, is he needs warmer water... try putting him higher up (heat rises) away from drafty windows, close to a heat source (vent, just not on the vent), and even have hot water bottles close around his tank.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #19 
MMad1121

Hello again,

I know it is late and most of you are likely in bed, but I wanted to update the status of my sick rescue, who I have dubbed "Finn". Before I could get any decent pictures of him to post on here, Finn passed on. I am both sad, relieved, and angry as I write this. Sad because I wanted to think he had a chance, relieved that he is no longer suffering, and angry that tomorrow is just another day at Walmart and there are still dying fish sitting on their shelves.

Thank you all for your support through this. Even though I didn't get to know him much, I think Finn might have been quite the feisty fish in his prime. I wish things had worked out differently, but sometimes they are better off after they cross the rainbow bridge.

Mackenzie
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #20 
yayagirl1209

I'm so sorry about Finn. I'm sure he was thankful to have someone that cared enough to try.
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote