Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

How to feed my betta a pea?

My betta has been struggling with bloat for a while now and I had him QT'D for about 2 weeks and was using epsom salt and someone suggested I feed him a pea. I cooked it like directed in the microwave, peeled it, and smushed it and broke it apart but when I put it in the water it just sank to the bottom and he had no interest in it at all.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #2 
Badjer

The pea method doesn't really work for bettas, as they are carnivorous. Which is probably why he isn't eating it. I believe Epsom salt can help with bloat, though someone with more experience would have to confirm that. Have you tried fasting him to let everything clear out of his system? If not, try that for a day or so first. I have a CT that gloats easily and that's how he always recovers.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #3 
danifacetastic

I've tried fasting and it doesn't really work either.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #4 
kfryman

Please do not use the pea method as this can cause some serious damage to your betta.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #5 
Badjer

Hmm...I suggest going over to the diseases section, filling out the form (in the sticky), and posting there. Someone with more experience and knowledge in sickness can help you out pretty quick. If fasting didn't work, he might have something wrong and the pea probably won't help him any. It's a method used for goldfish, not bettas. Hope your buddy starts feeling better!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Apparently daphnia is a good laxative.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #7 
danifacetastic

I think he has a mild case of dropsy. And the people in the disease forum told me to try the pea method o.o
Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #8 
SnowySurface

Some people will feed peas to bettas and others don't. The pea method is really for gold fish more than fish that are pure carnovores. I personally don't use the pea method because bettas can't digest vegitables and wouldn't be able to digest a pea properly. I would feed a bloated betta daphina instead of a pea if fasting while in epsom salt isn't working.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #9 
Myates

Frozen peas, defrost them (or cook and cool them) and smash up just the guts of it- feed only a tiny bit.
It's not harmful for short term treatment- as they are poor nutrition and empty calories they shouldn't be used on a regular feeding basis. I normally shy away from it, and refer to other methods such as fasting first.. and for true bloating I would use Epsom. But you can use a pea if you feel you need to, and if this case calls for it.
(thanks OFL)
Daphnia is more ideal for them, but often times is harder to find.

Not surprising that he didn't eat it, as usually they don't go for straight veggies. It doesn't smell nor look like what they normally eat.

Holding food for 2 days is the first step, can change the food after and see if that helps any as well.

Does he just have a rounded belly, or are there other true bloating signs, such as tipping over, difficulty swimming, etc? Rounded bellies, especially after eating, is quite normal. It is possible you may be over feeding at once as well causing an extended stomach. How much do you feed and how often? Of what?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #10 
danifacetastic

Well he's been bloated for a few months now. Earlier I posted pictures and I QT'd him for 2 weeks and used epsom salt. I usually feed him 4 pellets of betta food a day. He doesn't swim weird or anything...just bloated and pineconing a little. And I tried fasting him for a few days before I QT'D him.