Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

I like your idea of videos!! Never thought of that... I will definitely do that I like being able to SEE and HEAR an explanation, than just read it. sometimes, words are misinterpreted.... I will do that :o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #12 
Myrtaceae

I think it would be awesome to have short personal 'success stories' listed under the treatment methods for each disease (possibly contributed by members, or taken from disease threads after pm'ing for permission).

One of the scariest things about a fish having a disease is following all of the 'right' steps and waiting to see an improvement. Knowing that other people's fish have made it through the same thing would be really nice, because most of the time you hear about the deaths first.

This is a very silly example to show you the format I mean (trying not to turn this thread into a topic about how to cure suchandsuch real disease).

Disease: Chronic Narcissism

Symptoms: Excessive parading, displaying breeding behavior towards their own reflection

Risk Factors: Gorgeous fins, unusual colors, being spoiled with treats and elaborate tank set-ups by betta addicted owners

Treatment:
Taping pictures of show bettas to the tank wall to remind them they aren't such hot stuff, talking loudly over their tank about that beautiful crowntail you saw over on aquabid but don't have enough room to house

"I bought Bolan because he was clearly suffering from CN, and the petstore employees had no idea how to treat him! He was a beautiful Mustard Gas double tail, but he was too obsessed with himself to eat! I left my laptop running next to his tank with youtube videos of betta shows. It's been a hard road, but he's improving every day."

"My betta Mrs. Snugglepot came down with Chronic Narcissism after I left a mirror near her tank. She spent all day looking at herself and displaying her breeding stripes. I had no idea what was going on until I asked about it on bettafish.com. Someone there recommended a stern talking to, and now she's back to normal!"
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

-love the example- Maine had Chronic Narcissism

And no, it makes sense :)
Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 AM   #14 
kitkatbar

Don't forget water changes!! That is so confusing for new owners. I think somebody needs to make a chart. I also think there needs to be directions/instructions/schedules for how often to clean gravel/decorations...in which circumstances. Man, the water...there could be a whole site on that!

Also, you mentioned getting the word out... you may want to consider creating a Facebook page for it and having everyone you know "like" it...that's a great way to get the word out. Otherwise, try fliers...For example, you could probably get fliers approved if you have a college nearby ( i know a lot of times fish are the only things college students can have in the dorms, and bettas are a popular choice) and post fliers where students will see them. Business cards...buying an ad in the local paper, if you can afford it.

community free press?...you could create a blog for the rescue too. It could document a lot of your real-life rescues and get people involved.

I think there should be a checklist for "Are You Ready for a Betta?"...It should go into the costs of purchasing the needed materials and maintenance, and time involved, to humanely care for a betta fish...a lot of people don't realize what they are getting into.

Perhaps you could have a referral program. wow there are so many things you could do! Good luck!

I would really love to see a web site up with information from people on these forums...it was so confusing to me when I first started because all of the information is so conflicting!! But after browsing the forums you sort of get a "range" of variables that are acceptable for betta care and you find your own happy medium. If there was a site that offered information on basic care that gave a range of acceptable options that many people on this site could agree on, that would be so awesome.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-02-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: quintuple posting
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #15 
bahamut285

Holy quintuple posting, batman!

Please refrain from double/quintuple posting. Organize thoughts into one post. You can also edit your posts up to 20 minutes after posting.

My signature has a whole slew of information about water chemistry, xD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #16 
Myates

LOL bahamut- I was just thinking kitkatbar needs to lay off the sugar :D

But the college ideal is good- if you have one nearby you can post flyers as I can see a lot of people living in the dorms being overwhelmed with school and friends and deciding they don't have time to care for their betta, or are wanting a small pet such as a betta.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Very true! And I happen to have an insider at the college :D
And wow Kitkat, good ideas though :)

I'll be jotting these down o.o

I also, will be taking in more bettas at the moment than adopting out (probably as of January) so that there will be more bettas to choose from, and possibly saved. I'll be saving up some money, to go towards housing .... and maybe that cool cubby hole desk thing, that I can put a small tank in each cubby and on top. :3

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-22-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

facebook page started :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003255531299
Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #19 
NoahG

I was just checking on this and thinking I would definitely "like" if you did a Facebook page -- will do so as soon as I post this.

I also liked the idea of a "Are you ready" sort of checklist; even after weeks (literally) of research I wasn't expecting to spend as much as I have on a single betta, let alone how much I've spent on three (and to think, I'm considering risking a fourth and telling myself I already have most of what I need, haha). I'm not even done, either.

I really like a lot of the ideas that have been put forth and would like to wish you the best of luck in this endeavor -- I think a website in conjunction with your rescue is an excellent idea, especially given that you're offering care advice and support and such. I've only ever found it to be a positive thing when a rescue or whathaveyou has a website.

I have an entire bookmarks folder of links if you're interested in me sending some on any subject.

ETA: I've been meaning to say: sorry to hear about Spartan. My sincerest condolences.

Last edited by NoahG; 12-22-2011 at 05:48 PM.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Thank you, about Spartan
And also thank you for "liking" my facebook (to anyone) Right now I'm just rearranging my tanks, who's in what, etc. females in 29, Shiloh in 20, El Dorado and Riddle in a 10, and Shadow in Spartan's old tank.... Next, I'll be setting up any extra tanks I can find (thank you second hand store!) ensuring they are safe, so on so forth... it'll be costly to some points, but worth it.