Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #1 
LucasTheFisher

Talking Please, set-up suggestions for my tank!

Hi, I am planning to get a 20 gallon tank for these fishes:
1 Betta, 3 Guppies, 4 Cories and 8 Neon tetras.

But there are several problems/questions I need answers to:

First, I saw two 20 gallon tanks, one is longer and one is taller. Which one should I get? (The longer one is my cousin's, so if it is better I'll get it for free)

And what type of filter, lighting, ornaments, plants and heater should I get? (The ones that fit for every fish mentioned)

Lastly, is the fishes appropriate for the size of the tank? Is it overcrowded, if not, can I add more fish?

Thanks much
LucasTheFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #2 
LucasTheFisher

I hope someone answers this soon
Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Get the long one! They are so much more versatile than the high ones. They're excellent to house bettas in because they're long rather than tall.

For a heater you're going to want either a 50 or 75 watt one. Personally I'd go with the higher wattage. Aqueon is a decent brand as is visitherm and hydor.

For filtration you can do a number of things. Here's what I would do:
Two Aqua clear 20s on either end (you'll have PLENTY of filtration with this method)
One AC 20 on one end and a small sponge filter or bubbler on the other end.

You could also do two sponge filters attached to a large air pump if you don't want a power filter.

Any of these will provide optimum surface area for a cycle and the point of have one on each end is for maximum surface agitation to prevent hot/cold spots. The heater could be put in the center.

As for plants and decor that's totally up to you. Personally I'd fill the tank about half or even 2/3 of the way full with plants and hiding spots. The fish you have are quite active so you don't need too much cover but you want enough that they can explore.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #4 
LucasTheFisher

Oh thank you very much! I didn't thought someone will answer this in a jiffy. And to see that your response was detailed enough, thanks really!

By the way, can I still add a fish or two? I would still like to add 2 mollies but I am not sure about it. If the molly cant do, can you recommend something else?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I wouldn't add any more species. If you wanted you could add more of the fish you already have. A group of 6 cories would be a nice shoal and depending on whether your guppies are male or female you could add more of them. IME male guppies tend to pick on each other if there aren't females around.

Mollies (I believe) do better in more brackish water. The species you've already chosen have more in common as far as water goes.

Another option you may like are some shrimp and or snails? They'll help the cories with algae (although you'll have to supplement their diet) and are pretty fun to watch scooting around.

You could add as many as 10 or even 20 ghost shrimp without affecting your bioload much. Just make sure you have enough cover for them to hide when they molt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

I should add.. there are many good different brands of filters and ways to filter that tank, but the Aquaclear is my go to for a power filter. They're excellent and you can adjust the flow. Someone else may come along and recommend a different brand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #7 
LucasTheFisher

How about having 3 male and 3 female guppies? The only problem I thought about adding more guppies are babies, babies, babies. Some say that guppies become baby machines when there are atleast 3 couples of them. Is that true?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

I'd do 4 females and 2 males if you're going to add more guppies. The best ratio for them is 2 females to each male.

They can and will have fry, even if you just have one male and female. You'll need to remove the fry and dispose of them so they don't over stock your tank. The betta will eat some and possibly the cories but you'll still end up with lots to get rid of. You can try raising them in a separate tank or you can just cull them from the get go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #9 
LucasTheFisher

Isn't there any way to make them stop having fry's? Because I'd hate to get rid off the fry's but I also definitely do not want to overcrowd my tank. I heard that even the guppies themselves eat their fry's naturally? W/ the fishes eating it, will I still get alot of fry's?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

I'm afraid so. One female guppy can drop as many as 40 fry per month and they are fast little buggers. Not all will be eaten and not all guppies eat their young.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
accessories, betta, fish compatibility, fish tank, setup