Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #11 
kfryman

Shrimp have tiny bioloads so I would go with shrimp if you have enough cover.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #12 
Pitluvs

It's the fact that snails have large bioloads (ammonia and feces) and can over populate a tank in a hurry. 2.5g is great for one Betta and possibly one small snail. But if you have 1 Betta and say.... 3 snails? That's like having 4 fish in a 2.5g tank. Then add a few shrimp on top of that, and your way overpopulating your tank. I would say a Betta and a small snail, or Betta and shrimp with lots of places for the shrimp to hide :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #13 
LyzzaRyzz

That makes sense...I think Im going to order just the shrimp, and get some new plants..What kinds of shrimp would you guys reccomend?
are red cherries really the easiest?
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #14 
1fish2fish

Ramshorns don't have very high bioloads. If they did the 50 or so I have in my 10 gallon would have my ammonia off the charts. Apple snails have high bioloads but snails like MTS, Rams, Nerites, etc have relatively low bioload... however with snails it depends on whether you are over feeding or not.

To answer the OP's question, no, snails and shrimp will not have any issues if you put them together. They'll just leave each other alone. A well planted (almost full of plants) 2.5 gallon tank could easily support about 10 ghost or Red Cherry Shrimp adults and 3-4 Ramshorn snails. Just make sure you're regularly taking out babies so the tank doesn't become over populated. Weekly 50% water changes will keep your water quality good IME as long as you are feeding sparingly (every other day to every 3 days).

However, until you upgrade and remove the betta I would keep the stocking level where it is, just the snails. Even with java moss a 2.5 gallon isn't much of a foot print for shrimp to hide in.

RCS are easy to care for, however their red coloration makes them subject to predation because they stand out easily (especially if you have dark colored substrate). Ghost shrimp (IME) tend to last better against bettas. Also ghosties get a bit bigger so it's harder for the betta to eat the adults.

Last edited by 1fish2fish; 12-22-2011 at 08:37 AM.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #15 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Ramshorns don't have very high bioloads. If they did the 50 or so I have in my 10 gallon would have my ammonia off the charts. Apple snails have high bioloads but snails like MTS, Rams, Nerites, etc have relatively low bioload... however with snails it depends on whether you are over feeding or not.

To answer the OP's question, no, snails and shrimp will not have any issues if you put them together. They'll just leave each other alone. A well planted (almost full of plants) 2.5 gallon tank could easily support about 10 ghost or Red Cherry Shrimp adults and 3-4 Ramshorn snails. Just make sure you're regularly taking out babies so the tank doesn't become over populated. Weekly 50% water changes will keep your water quality good IME as long as you are feeding sparingly (every other day to every 3 days).

However, until you upgrade and remove the betta I would keep the stocking level where it is, just the snails. Even with java moss a 2.5 gallon isn't much of a foot print for shrimp to hide in.

RCS are easy to care for, however their red coloration makes them subject to predation because they stand out easily (especially if you have dark colored substrate). Ghost shrimp (IME) tend to last better against bettas. Also ghosties get a bit bigger so it's harder for the betta to eat the adults.
Thank you for answering my question!

Well, I already have a small bowl of Ramshorns, trying to breed them, and was only going to put the very biggest snails in the betta tank, and right now thats only one, but i havent put him in the tank, cause hes carrying the eggs on his back, instead of laying them on a leaf or the glass!

And I was going to set up another larger bowl for the shrimp, and then only take the few largest ones into the betta tank. And if they breed in there, the betta can eat the babies to its hearts content, since there should be the adults still there. And My betta is smaller, so i think theyd be too big to munch on. And for Christmas, my "Fishmas", I asked for all fish stuff, so i should be able to get some plants, which Im really excited to have!

And they should be eating the bettas poops too right? Or do I have to get algae wafers? I feed the snails a leaf of greens, spinach or cabbage, or lettuce, and a few flakes of the kois food, cause ive read it helps them breed faster, and they seem to love the crisps! You can tell which ones eat the crisps, cause thier poop is hot pink, not brown..lol
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #16 
Pitluvs

Well, I have one ramshorn in my 2.65g tank and he has quite the large bioload. I do one 100% change a week because if I did a 50% I would have poop everywhere. I don't feed mine either. Different experiences/opinions I guess!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #17 
LyzzaRyzz

I have six small ramshorns and one big one in one of those so called 'betta bowls', and I set it up about two weeks ago, put in a leaf of lettuce, and the water is still crystal clear today. Thier poop is in the gravel at the bottom, but they all live in a large plastic plant i stuck in the middle, and the big one is carrying babies, so im assuming thier perfectly fine in there!

Ive never had them with fish though, I tried with my small koi, and then they all dissapeared! Damned koi ate em all..lol
Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

You'll need to supplement their diet. They need greens and algae, etc, what your feeding the snails is fine for shrimp.

IME snails poop a lot but they don't produce much ammonia from it. But then again all my tanks are cycled or get 100% water changes weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

I saw you mentioned crystal shrimp earlier (the red and white banded ones). They are lovely, but not a good beginner shrimp as they are very sensitive. Red cherry are still sensitive to nitrates, but very easy regardless. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote