Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #1 
Oiseau

Oiseau's Nest

Im always forgetting that I have these things, so my journal entries are fairly sporadic. :3
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 
Oiseau

21/12/11

It's been a rough week. First, V died out of nowhere, no signs or being ill or anything. Last night I found my smallest girl clamped, pale and just floating at the top. She'd seemed perfectly fine when I fed her that morning. I took her out and made her comfortable in my 1g bowl but when I woke up, she had died. And when I was feeding my community tank, I found one of my glass catfish dead. I'm trying to convince myself these deaths aren't my fault. I mean, I had to return one of my glass catfish the day after we got it because when my boyfriend brought the poor thing home, he realized it had a bent spine. And now we have two deaths a few days after. Plus, my tank is cycled and peramiters are fine. All my research (looking up the personality, care, etc of each fish on 4 - 5 different websites, getting advice on forums, AqAdvisor and talking to workers in the lfs) says all my fish should be good together. I've seen zero aggression and I'm only 80% stocked. Ugh, I'm going to drive myself crazy wondering about this.

Also, non-fish life happenings. I lost a shift at work because I can't work until 11pm, which means less food money at the end of the month. My boyfriend has to wear a back brace because his spine is so far out that it's not even funny. :/ I was supposed to pick up my portfolio from an internship I had over the summer but that isn't happening now.

Sigh. I need a coffee.

Last edited by Oiseau; 12-21-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Typos.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #3 
Oiseau

Sigh. And now my buenos aeries tetras and Chinese algae water have died. I don't know what's going on. :/
Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, no! I'm sorry you lost your fish! I hope you're able to figure out what's going on.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 
Oiseau

24/12/11

I don't think I can keep fish anymore. It's too painful. I woke up to my baby, Flounder, dead. He was begging for food and flaring at his reflection just last night. I've spent the last hour crying. I miss him so much.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #6 
Oiseau

Thank you, DQ.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Not again! I am so sorry. Maybe you should take a break from fish for awhile and try again in a few months or something. It's hard enough to lose one but when you lose several in a row it's really hard.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Hi everyone. I am kind of late on this discussion but just trying to figure out what possibly could be wrong. 3 bettas in a row died. Were they already sick when you bought them?
Did you disinfect the tank after first betta died? If your first betta had bacterial or fungal infection or sometimes it bacterial and fungal infection together then just hot water not enough to kill bacteria and fungus that might still remain in the tank,gravel,plants….

Also I have a problem at home and I was wondering if Oiseau can help me. Sorry I don’t know your name…i will explain..

I am not allowed to go to the pet store, because every time I am going to the store i come bace with a betta , so as of today I have 10 bettas. Last one I bought a few weeks ago. I had big argument with my husband and he want me to return betta to the store. I told him that i need time to find who I can give him to. So if you want you can have him. He is happy and healthy. I am not sure what state you live in , I am in Philadelphia PA. So you can rescue my betta and do me a favor. He needs home. I also can give you his 2.5 gall tank.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #9 
Oiseau

Update:

After a few more deaths in my community tank, I tried returning all of the fish for a refund because it became immediately obvious that I had either bought them sick or the one original sick fish had infected everyone. (My glass catfish appeared to have TB.) The store refused to honor their return policy and left me out $250 worth of fish and plants. Within a week, all but a few of the fish had died. I had kept up regular water changes, etc. No signs of illness in any of the fish until they were dead. I had no idea who to quarantine or how to treat anything, so I did another major water change with siphon. There haven't been any more deaths since, though I only have about 6 of the original fish left.

A123,

My sorority girls + the community tank fish were definitely sick when I bought them, or infected shortly afterward. I put them in a cycled tank, proper feedings, understocked, with regular large water changes. However, I do not know if V was sick when I bought him. He didn't show signs of being ill. He was not in the same tank as any of the girls; however, I thoroughly disinfect all of my tanks. I use hot water to rinse everything off a few times, then rinse it again with a vinegar/hot water mix. After another hot water rinse, I use a bleach/hot water mix, which I usually let sit for a couple hours, and then rinse with hot water again until there's no residue left.

I had Flounder for five(?) months before he got sick. I found out after that he had ich, which I didn't detect earlier due to his light colouration and him being such an active swimmer. I did the same method to disinfect his tank and quarantined the plants and the shrimp as well. I've been keeping a close eye on all my fish though, just in case.

I would love to take your betta, but my boyfriend has a "no more fish or tanks" rule now, especially after all the money we spent - and had go to waste. I'm also in Canada, so the poor thing might not make it. :c I hope you can find a new home for him, though!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Well you don't know how long you keeping your boyfriend lol But if you love fish you should have it. Boyfriend will go and your hobby will stay lol . My husband is very understandable. I don't know how he takes me. All my bettas downstairs, so basically all my living room table occupied by bettas tank. We also have bar table where we eat and i have two tanks there too. He feeds them every morning too and feed them at night.

How is your sorority going? I hope your girls will work out for you. You saying that you have 6 of the original fish left. I am not sure which one are they.

I really don't know what to do with that betta. It painful for me to return it to the store.
Let me know if you change your mind. Because i can wait until wormer weather at least i will know that he will have home.

About disinfection. I did it before and i saw instructions from Oldfishlady about disinfection. I recommendation would be diluted clorax. I am not sure the proportion. 1 to 10? If you ever need it we can find out from the forum. I did 1 to 10 though. Wash it very well, wipe it, wash it and air dry… I put it outside to stay on the sun or you can live it inside on the sun for a few days.

I also want to say that with betta you never know if they can be sick since it a lot of them in the store and most of the stores don’t do right care of them so a lot of time they are sick. That is why I prefer to keep them separate. Because if one betta get sick then if will contaminate another one. So….
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote