Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 
BunnyCates

Sick fishie...Still not swimming after 3 weeks...

I originally mentioned Fishelstein not swimming in our intro post here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86206

but now I would really like some help. Its the 3 week mark and he is still not swimming.

I posted a video here so you can see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUyd_IqgYg

The gist of it: he's not been swimming for abt 3 weeks. Lays on rocks or floats vertically. Shoots up for air occasionally, then returns back to laying on the rocks.

No discoloring, no trouble breathing, no noticeable physical symptoms.
No change in eating habits: pellets

He has been treated for SBD and also had Epsom soaks. No change.
We have moved him to a larger tank (filtered 5 gallons). Ph and heat are good.

Here's an updated of the form thingy:

Housing
What size is your tank?
5 gal

What temperature is your tank?
79ish

Does your tank have a filter?
yes

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no

Is your tank heated?
yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
topfin betta food (2-3 pellets morning and night).

How often do you feed your betta fish?
daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
new filtered tank, plan to do 50% weekly? Was doing 100% on fridays when he was in his bowl.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
In new tank, havent changed that water yet, its only been a day but usually 100% weekly when he was in bowls

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
start right solution

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I have monitors and the ph one looks like 8.2 (orange) the amonia one in negative/safe (silver)

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
no

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
yes

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
2-3 weeks ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
yes
cleaning, fasting, pea, epsom salt, new home

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
no

How old is your fish (approximately)?
no idea, we've had him a year and he looks the same size/color etc as he did the day we bought him - so I'd say he was an adult at the time of purchase.
BunnyCates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #2 
aurasoulful

I saw your video. It's a shame he's so lethargic. Since you took him home full size, and you've had him for a year he could be around 2-3 years old. That's around middle aged to senor aged for a beta. I've adopted an adult beta and had him for 3 months. He's a grouch compared to my 6 month old betas. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling those adults it the market batches were used for breeding and they weren't needed anymore. So they sell them off. Have you tried offering him some live or pre-frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp, or glassworms? I give my guys one of those at least 1-2 times a week in one meal, with pellets another meal. The extra nutrients may help him get more energy. What is your water source? Well water is the best to use, or decloranated tap water is good to use. Never use RO/bottled water as there are no minerals, and the water will actually drain your beta of his vitamins and minerals. Maybe the light is too bright? :( I wish I could help the poor guy. Keep us posted on Fishelstein (cute name :D and nice tank btw)
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #3 
BunnyCates

He is such a picky eater. He seems to like those topfin pellets the best everything else I end up having to scoop out after an hour or two.

The water is tap water, treated with START RIGHT.

The light - came with the tank, we've only had it a couple of days. It just says it's an LED Light.

Im afraid he's just old, and there is nothing you can do for that, ya know? It stinks that there's nothing I can do for him, other than watch and wait.

He' even gotten more lazy in this new tank. Before atleast he would swim up for his food. He's figured out that if he just waits - the filter return current will eventually catch the food and push it down to him. So, when he sees food - he goes over to that spot and just lays there with his mouth open...waiting. haha....
Old 11-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #4 
BunnyCates

Happy Thanksgiving!

So Fishelstein is still not active.

He does swim up for air, swim up to eat. The end. He loves to wrap around the heater (just like he's spawning with it!) What a freaknuts!

Is it warm enough in there do you think? Or is trying to hump the heater his way of telling me to turn it up? I know that says between 75-79 but I stuck my finger in, and it feels cold to me. Definitely colder than room temp. I can't read the the therma thats on the heater at ALL, but it looks like the orange stops just under the 79 maybe? I dunno...
Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #5 
BunnyCates

Also, I noticed this today with in my pics (you can't see it with your eyes - but in the pics you can) See his chin, and just past his gills on his belly by his little fins? He looks "dry". Is that normal? Because he's old or not swimming? Maybe it's always been there? I dunno, never noticed it before...

Last edited by BunnyCates; 11-24-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #6 
BunnyCates

also today, we have bubbles!
I thought they only made bubbles when they were happy?! He's sick! How is he making bubbles?! He must REALLY like his heater!

ok a couple more questions, then I am done for today...
Is Epsom Salt and aquarium salt the same?

I read on another fish board you should ALWAYS put aquarium salt in your tank, regardless of the fish. If this is true, how much for a 5 gallon FILTERED tank??

Uploaded all the pics I took today, if you want to look, maybe you'll see something I dont?

Here's all the pics I took on the 21st.

Sorry so many replies on my own thread today, it kept telling me my posts were too big. :(
Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #7 
Silverfang

you might want to get a floating thermometer, they are pretty cheap, but far more reliable than those adhesive ones. I'd suggest turning up the heater a bit if he's constantly hugging it. But you need a better thermometer. Too cold a temp will cause them to be lethargic.

A question about the start right stuff, does it say it removes chlorine or anything else?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #8 
BunnyCates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
A question about the start right stuff, does it say it removes chlorine or anything else?
It says:

Keep your fish buddy happy and healthy with this complete water conditioner. A complete water conditioner that stimulates the natural secretion of slime to protect fish from the harmful effects of handling, shipping, fish fighting and other stress. Removes chlorine instantly, breaks the chloramine bond, neutralizes heavy metals, adds beneficial electrolytes and guards against secondary infections.

Here it is on WALMART
Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #9 
Silverfang

ok, just making sure it was a dechlorinator. Aside from making sure about the water temperature I'm not sure what else to suggest.

As for your question about aquarium salt it is not needed for regular use. AQ salt is generally only needed for an external wound, but even then should not be used for more than 10 consecutive days as it can cause issues with their kidneys I believe.

After looking over those pictures, you might try lowering the water level a bit so it's easier for him to reach the surface. If the water feels cold to the touch it's probably too cold for him. The do best with 78-80 degrees.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #10 
BunnyCates

ok, thanks! I'll raise the temp a little and see what happens. Lowering the water wont mess up my filter will it? The manual for it said the water should hit just under the return lip. I've never had a filter before, dont want to mess it up.