Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #1 
MMad1121

Exclamation *URGENT, Please help!*

Hi all,

Okay, so this may sound crazy but I rescued a beta fish today from walmart. I'm sure you'll tell me he's on his last leg and won't make it. I did not pay for him, just got the ok from the store manager to take him and do what I can to help.

The problem:

I'm looking at him right now and he is lying upside down in the little tank I got (I know, little tanks aren't advised but I'm just trying to do what I can.) He is currently still breathing, but is rather lethargic and remains in the same position unless agitated. I gave him pre-treated water that I use for my other beta, and treated the water with BettaFix.

Occasionally, he dashes around the tank, but gradually settles down to the bottom, usually on his back. Oddly enough, his fins are not clamped, but I believe he may have some bacteria or fungus, due to a few red spots I have noticed that are not part of his coloring. I do not believe it is dropsy, because he does not have the "pinecone" look to him.

I just want to see what others think. I suppose I could post a few pics here in a bit, I just don't know how much good they would do.

Thanks so much for your help. Even if he doesn't survive the night, I want to know that I tried and I at least got him out of the DISGUSTING, bacteria-ridden, pulpy looking water and tiny jar he was in for his last few hours.

Mackenzie
MMad1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 
gossipgirl1031

Mackenzie,

You did the right thing by getting him out of there. No matter what happens he will not die in that cold and dirty environment he was in. He may have an infection or SBD. I haven't had much luck lately on treating mine successfully with SBD. One was a male VT that had fins so tightly clamped together that I don't think they would ever have re-opened. The other was a baby (double sad). The baby had already begun to pine cone and I knew it was a lost cause, but couldn't leave him there. I've heard from other more experienced members that Epsom salt dissolved in water that also has been treated & conditioned. You may want to check with some of the better diagnosticians like Sakura8 or Myates. I believe daily 100% water changes and keeping him warm are also recommended. I had to leave behind a beautiful delta tail male that had a bad case of SBD because I have recently lost 2 very sick ones to that & I'm caring for 4 babies, 4 juveniles and 5 adults. My quarantine tanks are full.

Good luck & keep me posted :)
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #3 
MMad1121

Exactly the case here. I love all animals and I think I may have caught the betta bug as well. I can't stand the conditions they have to live in!

As far as the Epsom salt treatment, how does this work? I have him in a 1/2 gallon tank, and like I said I admit that this is less than an ideal size, but I'm just trying to help this fish either die easier or survive in which case I will certainly purchase a more appropriate tank. What is the proper way to do the Epsom salt treatment?

Thanks again for your advice. I hope this little guy pulls through!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #4 
Badjer

Just a tip, bettafix doesn't help bettas...it's a form of tree oil that's very bad for them so that isn't going to help. As for what's wrong with him, I'm not sure to be honest, but one of our more experienced members should be able to help you. Thanks for trying to save a betta...Walmart is horrid to their fish.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #5 
MMad1121

Ok, if that's the case then I won't keep using the Bettafix. Just don't know what else to do...thanks for the advice!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #6 
Badjer

Could you possibly post a picture so everyone can get an idea of the condition of his fins and those red spots?
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #7 
MMad1121

Unfortunately I won't be able to at the moment, as I am not at home anymore. However I will as soon as I can. If it helps, he has red balls on the tips of his fins and one on his eyeball as well. He was lying on his side when I left him, but his gills were still going. He is also a little on the thin side I think, but I don't have the slightest clue how to get him to eat, or if I should even bother trying right now.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #8 
MMad1121

I could kick myself for not posting a picture before I left...wishing I had right about now. I just hadn't figured anyone would ask.

Sorry, but I will get a picture up as soon as I can.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

You'll want to remove him from his tank in a cup, set him aside and premix 2tsp of Epsom salt in a gallon of treated water. Do a 100% water change on his tank (how large is it?) and then accumulate him to his new water by slowly replacing small amounts in his cup with new Epsom salt treated water until his cup is all new water. Then you can put him back in. Remember to keep them the same temperature. I personally wouldn't use Bettafix, it has tea tree oil which can cause damage.

You also may want to lower his water so he doesn't struggle to get to the top for air. He may have internal issues, as the pineconing usually means his organs are shutting down. Sadly, I don't know what to give him other than the Epsom salts :( Goodluck, someone will see this and come along with some better advice.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #10 
MMad1121

I had no idea Bettafix was so bad! I was reading reviews on petco's website and almost all of them were positive, so I thought I'd try it.

I had also bought betta revive, because I didn't know what to use...I didn't put both treatments into the water though, just the Bettafix.

Not sure if I had mislead anyone, but he actually is not pineconing at this time. Just lying on his back or side, occasionally darting around the tank.

Would it be best to prepare the Epsom salt mix tonight and let it sit overnight?

Thanks again to all for your concern and support