Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #1 
jman828

African Dwarf Frogs

So I just got my 2 mystery snails yesterday, but today I decided to also get a dwarf frog. So I got the frog and some micro frog pellets. I'm not really sure if there's anything I have to do to take care of it other than feed it and change the water. I got Zoo Med Micro frog pellets for him (or her not sure) and am going to add him to my 10 gal with 2 mystery snails and 2 bettas, then I'm going to stop adding cause I'm stocked good now. So i'm just wondering how much to feed him and how often and some good care tips for beginners for dwarf frogs. Thanks.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #2 
jman828

Oh yah and one more question, if i drop the food in, it gets into the gravel a bit, is he able to get it out of the gravel to eat it? It's just sinking frog food
Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 
aquakid

Typically I feed mine every other day (with the rest of my fish). Also keep in mind that they also eat fish flakes, sinking algae pellets, and other standard fish food. If you want you could even supplement their diet with baby frozen brine shrimp. As for everything else its just like another fish in the aquarium. Be sure to provide some sort of shelter though. Plants, rock piles, driftwood, and other decorations work well. Good luck! :)
aquakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #4 
BettaGirl290

they also LOVE bloodworms, + its good cause they an smell it out, i read somewhere that they cant really see very well and mostly depend on smell for there food
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #5 
jman828

Thanks for the tips but i'm sad to announce he died about 6 hours after coming home :'( and I have no clue why. He seemed fine before that he was swimming and eating too.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #6 
purplemuffin

ADFs seem to struggle for some reason. I have no idea why. Most frogs are pretty hardy, but these guys seem to die for no good reason. I'm really sorry he didn't make it! Maybe the petstore water was just too yucky!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #7 
jman828

Ossibly, but I got him from my LPS which usually has prettygood water, but he did seem a little wierd after i bought him, but nothing too severe. The only thing I can think of was the water is too warm? What temperatures do they do good in. My tank is 78 degrees
Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #8 
jman828

Okay, so since he's gaurenteed I was able to get a new one (which is way more active and looks much better than the one which died!) and I echanged for a different food which looked a lot better. So just one more question, the pellets are rather big and the bottle says 3-6 daily so I'm thinking 3/day does that sound good? They are HBH Frog & Tadpole Bites (or some name like that) and if they float down into the gravel is the frog able to eat them and get them out of the gravel??
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

I might be nervous he would eat the gravel. You can use chopsticks and hand feed him if you want!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #10 
jman828

he won't the gravel is large way bigger than his mouth
now i'm still trying to figure out how much to feed him and how often... and if he's able to eat it out of the space between the gravel?