Nice pics! I'm sorry about your cories.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #12 
LyzzaRyzz

lessons learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Nice pics! I'm sorry about your cories.

Ugh, I feel so bad about it..and i know its because i wasnt fully prepared and didnt research and it was an utter impulse buy...and because of that, two tiny cories are gone..=[ But, it will make me more prepared and aware to my next cories/catfish, and as a reminder to not impulse buy, and to know what im getting into!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #13 
LyzzaRyzz

Another new plan. My boyfriends going nuts with my fish plans. lol.

So, this is a thread i started over in TFK, in the catfish section.

Going to be new catfish owner, help with stocking, cories or pleco? Some of you may have seen me over at BettaFish, I had no idea that this was the mother site of them!
So glad theres more of the amazing people to help me with my new fish addiction. Catfish.

I currently have two male bettas, both heated and filtered, one 2.5 and one 10 gal.
My questions come with the ten gallon tank...
My betta is about 2.5 inches long, including his tail, and I was originally was thinking 5-6 albino or green cories,[thats what my LPS has] or maybe two albinos and three greens? [My LPS will most likely be able to order me pandas, but i hear thier less hardy]

Then I saw, at my LPS, they have home tanks, where its the owners fish, and in every giant tank there were one giant or a couple bigger plecos, the biggest being about 3 feet long! they were also in tanks with a few other fish. They responded to my friend, who works there, like dogs, and ate from her hand, and liked to be petted...And i fell in love!

I thought, That is they best fish in the world. I HAVE to have one.

Now, I didnt need to dive headfirst into yet another venture, while my cory tank was still cycling, so Im spending as much time researching as I can..Which is also good, since plecos need to be in well established tanks, and definitely not cycling!

My 2.5 is cycled and pretty healthy my newest betta is healing from store bought finrot very nicely, so i was thinking, if i find the right type of pleco, i could, after QTing, place him in the 2.5, until the 10 gal has finished cycling. This is assuming I get a young one, as I planned, so itll be smaller at first. And I fully plan on having the pleco have its own tank by itself, or with other tankmates, when fully grown, Id just like to see him grow through the current tanks I have until he gets big enough to get a bigger tank..

And then I was reading that albino plecos are much smaller than regular plecos, even commons coming in at a short 7 inches, instead of 2 feet. So, I was figuring, If i get a smaller species, like say a bristlenose, or another, and then also grab an albino at that, a fish ranging 7-12 inches normally would be 4-6!

Tell me if my reasoning is wrong!

So that got my mind turning, and if i only have a four inch pleco, and a 2.5 betta, could I still have cories, the playful guys that got me into catfish in the first place? And if I could, how many? Certainly not the original planning of five? Maybe four?

I really would like both, even if i can only get three cories, and the pleco, get him his own tank and then get two-three more cories..

And there I go on another fish tangent.

Update are awesome;

Tyrion, my MGVT, is in the 10 gallon, awaiting his new tankmates, whatever they may be, and hes taken to sleeping in the front of the tank, in a dip in the gravel, in his "im pretty" stance...or it could be hes right under the feeding station, thats the really fuzzy zoom in picture, but thats all i can get for right now, he moves whenever i get close..i even tried to send Joe in a "covert mission" to try to get a good one, and thats what we got. *sigh* I will keep trying!

Then theres Zoolander, the ever entertainer, whom i hope will be getting shrimps as tank mates, as soon as I can find them! He got a w/c and a tank rearrange, and this is what it looks like now, and then him, having a staring contest with the thermometer. Silly fish. Also, I like to make a "feeding station" for my fish, so they know where to go to eat, and the food is somewhat contained, though, i usually dont need to worry, foods gone in seconds! So heres Zoolander, begging for food. Again, silly fish. =]

And then theres the monster tank. Its empty, in my basement, and its lurking. We used it a few winters to hold goldfish/koi for the pond, but it was never very clean, but it was functional at the time, but since has been left alone and Im thinking how gorgeous would it look with a betta, six cories and a pleco? Perfection! And I could have live plants, though id have to get a bigger heater and filters, its a 29 gallon, filled almost all the way to the top...Just another idea...Hmm...Anyways, heres pictures..

my friend at my LPS is going to be trading me goldfish for my two koi soon, as soon as we can make a time!

So, those are my thoughts and updates on my fishes...=]

But on a furry friend note, well be getting a new baby rat, as soon as my LPS litter is mature enough..Imagine it, a freshly hand weaned rat who thinks YOUR thier mommy...how much more perfect is that?
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #14 
LyzzaRyzz

Oh, and the snails!

I recently was given a few trumpet snails by my petsmart, and i excitedly put them in the tank with my ramshorns, unknowing that theyll eat each others babies! So then i had to seperate them again, and now they are in separate critter keepers, and there are egg sacks in the trumpets tank! Im so excited!
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #15 
LyzzaRyzz

And even the petsmart near my house which i never go to doesnt even have the shrimps! Darn!

All anyone around here has are barely visable ghost shrimp, which i can never even find in thier tanks, let alone catch and breed at home!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're just having the darndest luck. I saw golden mystery snails at Petsmart and they look pretty cool but I don't really care much for snails. They were pretty interesting to watch, though.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #17 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
You're just having the darndest luck. I saw golden mystery snails at Petsmart and they look pretty cool but I don't really care much for snails. They were pretty interesting to watch, though.
Mysterys are cool, but Thier so big! I'm trying to raise them as food for my goldfish, and mysteries will be too big! Plus, I kinda like the buggers...I think Thier cute!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've kind of thought about keeping something else besides bettas but i don't want to have to cycle a tank.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #19 
Gamma

Can you post pics of the frogs? Frogs are the cutest skimey thing besides betta's.
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #20 
LyzzaRyzz

how did you know?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
Can you post pics of the frogs? Frogs are the cutest skimey thing besides betta's.

I think you are telepathic.

I dont remember, nor looking back can see a post where i mentioned frogs..

though today, i picked up a ADF!

Come home, and see this? Geez, your right on the money!
So, for your prize, heres pictures of my new little guy!

I plan on putting him in my 2.5 with Zoolander, and doing a water change every two days, and having a froggy feeding plate so he doesnt much up the water with his food..and that way i can make sure hes eating too.

Silly me thought frogs should have running water, so in his temp qt tank, i put an airstone, only to read further to find out they are sensitive to water vibrations, and it could mess him up, and stress him, so i ran up the stairs, and yanked the air stone out, and apologized profusley to froggy...i still feel bad..thats something i shouldve known before getting him!
Attached Images