Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #1 
Janiece

Agh!! I can't believe it

My beloved Trololo passed away today, so I bought a new betta, Tsunami, to cheer me up. I was cleaning out the tank and changing the rocks, when the 1.5 gallon tank slipped from my hands and hit the bath tub.

You can imagine the horror that over came me when I noticed a large crack down the middle of the tank! I can't believe that happened. Well, now it's going to take me at least 1-2 weeks to get his new tank, between waiting for my check and ordering it on amazon. Possibly more, not sure really.

So my question here is, Tsunami is still in his little cup from the pet store and will most likely stay in there for a little while. I'm worried because I'm afraid the room temp might drop and he doesn't have a heater. Will he be OK in there for a little while until I get a new tank?

I guess the good side to this is now I finally have a reason to get him a 5 gal.
Janiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #2 
Myates

:( That sucks.. I'm always scared of breaking mine.

Do you have any tupperware you can use that is clean and free of soap residue? The small containers fluctuate in temps way too fast and easy- so anything would work that you can place a lid on (with a slight opening) or seran wrap over (taped to the sides to it doesn't hit the water- holes punched in) to prevent him from jumping. You can also place a towel around the container to keep it warm- just make sure it doesn't get too warm.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....bummer......

Do you have anything around the house you can use until you can get the new tank...like a large pickle jar, vase...etc......give it a vinegar rinse-then clean water rinse before use...or if you have a local thrift shop to check out and buy something really cheap....just a thought......

The small temporary cups with lid they come in-while not ideal for long term-should be fine until you get your new tank....I would make 50% daily water changes and 100% mid week to maintain water quality....heating is going to be the biggest issue as you already know.....keep him in the warmest part of the house and monitor.....he will tell you when he is too cold by his behavior....

Keep us posted and look forward to seeing pic and hearing more about your Betta adventures.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #4 
Sherlock23

Do you have like anything beside the cup to put him in? If you end up having to use the cup what i do ( I don't have a heater for my 20 gallon tank yet i know i'm bad but it's a working progress) i would use hot tap water, I try that if the water gets to cold, it does help some ( in my case it helps some) So you can try that until you get a new tank. My betta had to stay in he's cup for about a week until he's tank came in the mail and he's fine now :D
Sherlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote