Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #1 
HappyBetta107

Hey, I am getting a new betta for Christmas. Is this a good setup???

I am getting a betta for Christmas. Im so excited!!! So, I went to the petstore today to look at everything and get a estiment about how much it will cost. I will buy everything when i actually get my betta.

Here is the list of everything i am going to buy.

*Tetra Betta Flakes
*Betta Bowl Plus Water Conditioner
* Aqueon Betta Bowl Kit in Blue

Here is a Picture that i got from Google

It comes with Gravel, Plant, Divider, food sample and water conditioner sample. It even comes with a Divider so if i want i can get to bettas!!

So, what do you think? and how often should i change that water?
HappyBetta107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #2 
revolutionrocknroll

Welcome to the forum! It's awesome that you're getting a betta :)
A couple of things though:
To be honest, if that's the half gallon aquarium I think it is, it's too small for one betta, let alone two. A lot of people say that 2.5 gallons is the minimum, though you could probably get away with 1 gallon as the minimum for a small betta if you did changed the water often enough.
Also look at heaters. Bettas like temperatures of around 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #3 
ArcticRain

Hello, welcome! Before I say anything further I invite you to explore the forum and check out the Stickies at the top of each section. They are all a very good read and have really helped me with my bettas care.

Moving on, A half gallon tank is just too small for two bettas. I am not trying to be mean, I just want to help you provide your Betta with great care. =) I think that a Two Gallon tank is the minimum tank size for a Single Betta. The main reason being that a 2 gallon tank is the smallest size tank that you can safely heat, and bettas need heaters.
In a 1/2 gallon tank with Two bettas you would have to do 100% water changes Once maybe Twice a day!
One other thing, I think that the plant that comes with that kit is Plastic, and sharp plastic at that. Plastic plants can harm your bettas fins. So I recommend you use silk or soft plastic plants.

Bettas are wonderful creatures and they deserve the best care that we as humans can provide! Good luck with your Betta adventure!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #4 
Jodah

First off welcome! Second off: don't even bother with that tiny aquarium.

This and others similar to it are great starter kits: http://www.petco.com/product/114820/...arium-Kit.aspx

Don't forget to add a heater, a tetra 2-15g heater which is 15 bucks at walmart will do just fine.

For food most prefer hikari betta bio gold pellets. It's 3 bucks for the smaller pack which will last you quite a while at 2-3pellets twice daily.

Another, way of going about it is pick up a 2.5g or 5.5g bare tank and piece everything together. This can potentially be more expensive, but, you can make it look exactly how you want.

/end ramble
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 
HappyBetta107

2 gallons for one betta? Really? That seems like alot. at the petstore they have two bettas in a setup like the one mentioned above and the fish seemed fine. Why shouldnt I be able to just copy that? If the fish seemed healthy...
And why do they need a heater? And one water change a day? Thats seems like a bit much. The guy at the petstore said they change the water in the display tank once a month.
Im not mad Im just wondering.
HappyBetta107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

Welcome to the forum!

Petstores know little to nothing about proper pet care, but they know lots on selling techniques! By putting that rather small tank up with two Bettas in it, they are showing you how easy they are to care for, how small of a space they take up and how cheap they are. This hooks new Betta owners into thinking Bettas are a very simple and cheap pet. When in actuality, they are not. Then you come here, meet real Betta people and go back to the pet store and buy everything a Betta really needs, and they make more money off you. BUT if you buy what you need the first time, you don't waste money on those silly little set ups. Bettas like room to swim, to show their personality. Also with larger tanks, the water is easier to control. With a 0.5g tank divided twice, the ammonia builds up in the water very quickly, ammonia comes from urine/feces/and what is left when they remove the oxygen from the water with their gills. Imagine... living in a closet and having someone give you a meal 3 times a day. Yes, your being fed but there's little room to move and you have to sit in there with your urine and feces for a month. That's about the same as that tank, for one Betta. 1g tank per Betta is much better, 2.5g will allow more room for water (so they can get away from the ammonia!) and you will have a ball watching them explore. Also, larger tanks are easier to decorate and if you stick around here you'll love the ideas! Check out this topic, Please Show Pictures of Your Betta Home for some great ideas. Also, Critter Keeper has a tank that comes in a 3g, and it's only a few dollars more than the 0.5g you posted :)

Also, Bettas are tropical fish from Thailand and are used to warmer climats than we have in North America. They love water that is between 78-82F, usually this is only obtained by adding a heater to a tank. Bettas are much more healthy and lively when in warm water. Would really suck if you get really attached to your Betta and he dies because he's sick. Also warmer water helps their immune system and helps them digest food easier. Also on any tank under 5g, we usually suggest one 50% water change and one 100% water change a week. It's to remove feces and the ammonia in the water, so they don't get sick.

Hope this helps :) Stick around and read some post, you'll see what we're talking about :)

Last edited by Pitluvs; 12-21-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #7 
bahamut285

@TaylorLynne: There is no need to be so aggressive to the Original Poster (OP). I would personally not listen to anybody who spoke to me like that. OP wasn't ignoring everybody, just like many beginners in the hobby, they listen to the word of every pet store employee. They are just asking for clarification from conflicting information

@HappyBettas: While keeping a larger tank in mind, I would like to direct you to this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=87896

It will give you an idea on which is the best tank for you to purchase. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. Feel free to private message me as well.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay

Last edited by bahamut285; 12-21-2011 at 12:55 AM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #8 
ArcticRain

I think Pitluvs has said it all! I hope that you will explore this fourm an use it to it's extent! On top of looking at the basic care of bettas, I also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the common diseases that bettas can get and there treatments. I hope you stick around! =)

Last edited by ArcticRain; 12-21-2011 at 01:24 AM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

For a first time betta owner a good set up would be sonething like a 2.5 gallon, this way you'll only have 2 water changes a week but don't have to worry about filtering and cycling the tank unless you want to. IMO its probably best for a new owner with no fish experience to stick to 100% water changes until they feel more comfortable with the ins and outs of fish keeping.

A heater however is a must if you live in North America. My other motive for suggesting a 2.5 as a minimum is it can be very reliably heated with any decent 25watt heater without over heating the tank. For smaller tanks they do have heating pads but these are nonadjustable and may or may not make the tank warm enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #10 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Hi,
I'm only a beginner, so I'm just going by what people have told me on here.That tank may be too small! I'd recommend getting a 3g or 5g. Preferably a 5g.
They are around $40 for a kit! It's kinda expensive, but it best for your betta. You will definitely need a heater, Getting a larger tank is better for you and your fish! He'll be happier and have tons of room to swim around and show off his colours! If you get a 5g you could even add a snail.
You will have to clean the tank less and have more fun watching him! Dividing Tanks can cause stress, I'm not sure though.I'm getting a 10g for my betta and he'll be with 4 panda cory cats and a mystery snail. Good Luck!

Last edited by MaisyDawgThirteen; 12-21-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote