Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #1 
artseattle

My First Bettas

After "babysitting" my neighbor's tadpole, I decided to add something living and breathing to my household. I grow orchids in a fluorescent light case and thought I would try a Betta there. I bought a seedling mat heater to place under two 1 1/2 gallon kritter keeper type tanks. I set it up for about a week and could keep the temperature at around 75 degrees. The lights are on for about 12 hours a day. It's been great to water my orchids and also see my fish and take care of them. I've been changing the water about twice a week. I bought a small heater to heat a pot of treated water.

So far, so good. I'm resisting buying more Bettas and reducing my orchid plants! After buying two and then seeing more and more I can see how hard it is to resist.

Here are two pictures of of my boys that I bought from a local fish store in Seattle.

From what I've learned on this forum, I think one's a mustard gas colored super delta. The other is a freak of nature, he's huge and very fiesty. His fins have been growing longer and longer and he will eat nonstop it I let him. I have no idea what type he is. Any guesses?

Thanks for looking. I'm sure I'll have questions soon.

Art in Seattle
Attached Images

artseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

They're both pretty awesome! I would say you're right about the first guy, he looks like a super delta MG. The other guy looks like either a veiltail or a veil with a bit of delta mixed in there, and I'd call him... hmm.... multi? Not quite a butterfly but some people might call him that anyways. He looks big just in the picture even with no frame of reference!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #3 
PixelatedPaint

Both are gorgeous! I would say mustard gas for the first as well....I have a serious soft spot for MGs. the second has such a nice and vibrant red!!! <33333
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #4 
bettaboyshiva

yes first one is definitely a MG super delta...2nd one i would say he has some plakat in him judging from the si2e of his ventral fins. nice fish !
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

Wow, those are some amazing bettas!!! you're soooo lucky, I've always wanted bettas with those colors!!! The second one is a veil tail with quite a bit of tail damage, but with clean water it should grow back =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #6 
Jrf456

By the way you're describing, the second one could very well be a giant betta.

They're both gorgeous! Great finds! (:

/EDIT: Yes, there is an actual type of betta called a giant betta. Lol.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #7 
artseattle

This is great fun! I'll add some more pictures of the red one so I can get more guesses. He's is really large and can eat just about anything put in front of him.

Art
Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #8 
bettakong

nice one
bettakong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #9 
fishy friend2

Is it just me or does the second Betta's fins look like a swordtails fins
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #10 
artseattle

Another picture

Here's another picture of my red betta. His fins seem to keep growing. The ventral fins and the bottom of the caudal fin are really long. The dorsal fin is a little tangled at the end. I've noticed that the caudal fin has grown quite a bit since I got him about 4 weeks ago. I haven't seen another one this large at my local fish store. He's now jumping out of the water to nip my finger!

Art
Attached Images