Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #41 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina View Post
Sounds like my kinda critter! Cute! But... there's probably a funnel web spider in the closet, right? *shudders and runs*
Not where I live! It's too cold for them.

I hope.

I thought your hubby might enjoy this popular tourism video: http://www.vidz.com.au/video/123/Dea...e-to-Australia

I have seriously considered keeping tarantulas. Bit like taking coal to Newcastle, lol, but they are so very lovely. The native equivalent here would be Selenocosmia crassipes, the bird eating spider (aka barking or whistling spider). Not to be confused with Theraphosa blondi, the Goliath bird eater, which is (I think??) a species of true tarantula? Our bird eaters get really enormous legspan-wise and can be quite aggressive, so perhaps are best for experienced spider wranglers.

Here's the late, great Steve Irwin, irritating one:

Last edited by Aus; 02-10-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #42 
nicolaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Are these the temps inside the house? I take it you do not have air conditioning then?

30c is fine.. 60c is incredibly hot
16c is only 60 degrees and is a little chilly but not too bad, a warm desk light near by would be enough to keep it warm.

I'm more concerned with the heat in summer. I might ask a t forum about if the species can survive that amount of heat
Yes, and yes we don't have A/C.
Yes Pleas ask!
If it cant take the heat, I'll take one of our spiders, they can take it!(I hope)
nicolaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #43 
nicolaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post

I hope.

I thought your hubby might enjoy this popular tourism video: Deadly Animals Come to Australia video

I have seriously considered keeping tarantulas. Bit like taking coal to Newcastle, lol, but they are so very lovely. The native equivalent here would be Selenocosmia crassipes, the bird eating spider (aka barking or whistling spider). Not to be confused with Theraphosa blondi, the Goliath bird eater, which is (I think??) a species of true tarantula? Our bird eaters get really enormous legspan-wise and can be quite aggressive, so perhaps are best for experienced spider wranglers.

Well sins the song is so catchy, I want to go now!(but I cant)
Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #44 
purplemuffin

Looks like you might have some issues. Some areas in SA don't allow any tarantulas, some you need permits for local species, some you need permits for exotic species. Your local 'baboon' tarantulas would be fine, if you can figure out if you need a permit or not. See if you can find a local tarantula society or maybe ask someone official what the rules are for your area.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #45 
purplemuffin

Okay from what I'm hearing, most of the permit issues are settled. Try to find someone locally selling local tarantulas. Any african tarantula would be your best bet. Even without air conditioning your house is still likely a few degrees cooler than the hottest temps outdoors.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #46 
nicolaas

I've got the tank.Very exited, and it needs allot of work! It's 47cm long, 35cm in with and 36 high,That is about 13gal
Wen I picked it up the bottom fell out,and the glass(glad it did not break)
here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #47 
nicolaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post

I hope.

I thought your hubby might enjoy this popular tourism video: Deadly Animals Come to Australia video

The snake at the end is a Black Mamba, and they don't live there.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #48 
purplemuffin

Okay for the tank.. I would clean it up and repaint it(it's good that the pieces fell apart, it will be easier) and then pick a water based sealant and use 3 or so coats. Then put it back together!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #49 
nicolaas

Is it ok to keep a Baboon?
I must make a new bottom, those two parts on the first pic are the lid!
I cleaned and glowed it, now comes the part were I paint it.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #50 
purplemuffin

I would ask someone where you live if it's okay. I'm not familiar with the rules where you live--sometimes they can be silly!

You will still want to seal it even if you paint it!