Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #1 
4mb3rNich0l3

Question about tank size

Ok Id love to keep all my bettas in a 5 gal tank. but I plan on getting WAY m ore bettas(I have 3, 2 of which where rescues, and the 3rd is my boy poseidon whom I got from petsmart) if kept in a smaller tank(1-2 gal) and had to change it frequiently, would this stress them too much?
4mb3rNich0l3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 
LittleBettas

A lot of people have bettas in 2.5 gallons (sold at petsmart) they work great and are MUCH easier to heat than a 1 gal.... and provide more room ;)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #3 
4mb3rNich0l3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
A lot of people have bettas in 2.5 gallons (sold at petsmart) they work great and are MUCH easier to heat than a 1 gal.... and provide more room ;)
Yeah but how often would I need to change the water? Is there something I could use to heat multiple tanks without having a individual heater for each tank?
Im just worried about stressing them lol :p
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

For a smaller tank that is unfiltered and not cycled you'll need at least 2 100% water changes a week. On a 2.5 you might be able to get by with just one 100% water changes.

They'll get used to the water changes if you feel this is a must. Personally I'd rather completely spoil the ones I have as much as possible instead of trying to collect more and keep them in smaller tanks.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Personally I'd rather completely spoil the ones I have as much as possible instead of trying to collect more and keep them in smaller tanks.
I agree strongly with this! ^^

You could always divide 10g tanks three ways, and have 1 heater for each 3 Bettas :) They would get about 3g each this way.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #6 
LucasTheFisher

In a unfiltered 2.5 Gallon tank, is it necessary to do a 100% water changes?

Some sites recommend "NEVER" to do 100% changes. But I think they meant for filtered tanks. So is this rule apply to only filtered tanks or something? Or is this not a reliable rule?
LucasTheFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #7 
4mb3rNich0l3

Ill try to do 5 gal tanks for everyone(Im wanting to get some breeders and attempt breeding, which is why im getting more Bettas)
Was just curious about the water changes and stress for my little guys.

Also I have another question. I have 2 different kinds of foods. Pellets and there another betta food that is like flakes and has some dried shrimp in it. Which would be best? I noticed posiden has a hard time eating the pellets, thats why I feed him the flakes
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

You never do 100% changes on cycled tanks, but uncycled tanks you have to. It's to remove the poop and left over food from the gravel. A filter doesn't remove that stuff. I have 1g-3.3g tanks here and all get weekly 100% changes :) Everyone's doing good!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #9 
Myates

I use 1-2 gallons for all of mine (once we find a bigger place I can upgrade them if I wish), but they are all happy and have never had health problems (other then one who was ill when I purchased him, but he is still going strong for the most part even though he is still fighting his infection).. I do 1 50% and 1 100% per week in them- some I do a 100% every 4 days, and the one that is ill gets it a little more frequently to keep his wounds clean.

The 1 50% and 1 100%, and the 1 100% every 4 days don't stress them out- they stress and hate going into the cup for cleaning, but within minutes of being returned they have forgotten about it and swim around exploring where I placed the plants and such like nothing happened. So I wouldn't worry about stressing them out- and the 1 50% and 1 100% is just perfect for under 3 gallons unfiltered as the ammonia and nitrates don't get a chance to really build up- just make sure any uneaten food is removed shortly after feeding, or do something like I do and just feed them one piece of food at a time to make sure they eat the appropriate amount and can see whether they eat.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote