Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
elegantlyunsophisticated

Rescued a VT, need to fatten him up!

Hey everyone, I posted a thread in Betta Chat talking about my trip to Petco, and after some serious indecisiveness, I came home with a teeny, skinny little VT sitting in the passenger seat! He's got finrot, as some of his caudal fin is gone and the edges are black, he's painfully skinny, and seems to have trouble seeing or something, cause he only went for the pellets when I pushed them. I need some advice for this little guy, his caudal fin is rotted, his dorsal is curled pretty badly and some fins seem to be melting? Also I need to crush up the pellets for him because he is so small. Anything I should give him that is super nutritious to get him back up to speed? He's in a bare bottom QT with AQ salt now, 100% water change daily. Any help will be appreciated. I'll get a pic up soon.
elegantlyunsophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Well it sounds like you have him on the proper treatment to get his fin rot cleared up, just curious what dose of AS you are using. usually 1 tsp/gal is a good start.

As for food, if he's so small the pellets are too big for him, I'd suggest you try to find some new life spectrum pellets, you can get them in a growth formula for smaller fish (they're micro pellets). Frozen food might be another alternative, however you would have to chop up any blood worms most likely. I'm sure someone else will be able to give you some more advice.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #3 
Sakura8

For tiny pellets, I always turn to New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm pellets. *inhales* What a long name. But they're super super tiny. If he really is struggling to eat, try frozen foods. Frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp. And if he's super super tiny like baby size, you may need to resort to baby brine shrimp and an eyedropper.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #4 
elegantlyunsophisticated

What I've been doing is putting several pellets on the table and running them over with something like a water bottle >.< it breaks them up and he noms them like a fiend. He's in a teeny kritter keeper for now, but has a place in a proper divided tank when he gets a bit bigger and healthier. He could fit right through the divider now! (which is exactly what my baby angelicus loach is doing -_-)
Old 12-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Oh, that's a good idea too! Sounds like the pellets break up more evenly than hitting them with a hammer. *hides hammer*
Old 12-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #6 
elegantlyunsophisticated

well sometimes they freak out and fly everywhere, awkward explaining to your parents that betta food shrapnel flew into your eye anyway, this VT's future home is currently being occupied by a celestial eyed goldfish, I think I'm in love XP
Old 12-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Haha, yeah, that would be a little awkward. But then again, parents might wonder why you're using a great big hammer to hit a tiny little pellet.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #8 
Silverfang

two spoons work well, same as crushing a pill.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #9 
gidgeystartedit

I got a small mouthed Delta, he loves the New Life Spectrum New Formula. Too long of a name...
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
Sakura8

You mean New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm Sinking Pellets is too long for you? However so? Just kidding. I know, it's crazy long.