Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #1 
nel3

CT has been bloated/constipated for 5 consec weeks

hello, i have a CT in a 2.7g KK (27C) thats hardly ever done his business. he has no Swollen eyes, Clamped fins or Lethargy. his belly is Gray along with the outer edges of the gills. ive tried fasting him, peas, BBS and 3 tsp ES. its been 4-5 days he's been in 3rsp ES and not improvement. id say im seriously worried BC the bloating hasnt gone down but i getiing close to alarmed. if there were raised scales id be alarmed about him. i havent been feeding him the past 5 days, ive rarely been feeding him since i noticed he doesnt do his business (2.5 weeks ago). he's 1 1/4 total length.

have i exhausted all conservative treatment? i did get API general cure
maracyn will be a bit hard to come by as Quebec laws bar many popular effective meds ie jungle's antiparsite pellet included. its pretty much API ___fix products here. would pimafix still be bad for betta? it has West Indian Bay Tree extract. i can still get some maracyn but i'd have to wait for the order to come (nearest wed->sunday). i have betta revive but i dont trust it to use it.

i got some garlic guard to add to the frozen BBS and fed the CT some. the pic after eating: that was his last feeding and his current belly size.

he does have some ray curling issues to GH levels, thinking of getting GH/KH reducer while continuing with IAL treatment. atm i dont care if they curl as long as his belly doesnt reduce in size.
this pic is 20 days old.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I've noticed that crown tails seem to have more pronounced bellies even when they're not constipated, or at least the ones I have are like that.

Give general cure a shot just in case he hasn't been able to pass any parasites.

Has he been acting normally otherwise?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #3 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
I've noticed that crown tails seem to have more pronounced bellies even when they're not constipated, or at least the ones I have are like that.

Give general cure a shot just in case he hasn't been able to pass any parasites.

Has he been acting normally otherwise?
thank you for the reply Pataflafla. ive heard that CT are prone to bloating, probably more than DT. the 2 DT i have never had such issues. how long should i use general cure and what mix fo i avoid? i guess i'll have to stop the ES treatment though i'll continue with the IAL. i
ll see if i can order Jungle's anti parasite pellets or get them off ebay.

he's been acting normal otherwise. he's willing to eat when i could offer food but i'll fast him a bit more. he's not as active than the others but thats only because i dont interact with him that much. he's beside my bed while the other 3 are in a high traffic hallway recess. i dont have room to comfortably piut the 2.7g on the same commode. other high traffic area left is the kitchen table but that has its issue to potential disturbances. its just me and 4 fish in the unit and i try avoid movement whenever i have a fish on that table.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

I'd run a full treatment of General Cure and keep him on at least 1 tsp/gal epsom salt.

I know that two of my three crown tails have very pronounced stomachs even when empty. It always worries me, but they never had any swimming issues or behavioral changes. They do tend to be more prone to bloating and constipation, but a spread out feeding schedule seems to avoid that quite nicely.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #5 
nel3

i put the API genreal cure in 12 hours ago and i already see improvement. he did his business during the night with API GC and 1tsp ES/g. theres still some more he'll have to get out but i'll give him some food tomorow. his stomach is out of the pronouced bloat, still see a sight bulge (50% reduced) but nothing like a full 24hrs ago.