Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

I couldn't see the picture in the thread, but I found it eventually. I think what you have is a rosy red minnow or some kind of goldfish. But it is not a betta. Rosy reds are coldwater fish often called fathead minnows. Most people keep them in ponds or use them as feeder fish. They will need a filtration system and can't be kept in a bowl.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #12 
Brian10962001

That is for sure a Rosy Red feeder minnow. I have one in a bucket right now. I use him, a goldfish, a guppy (yes quite the rag tag bunch) and a Chinese algae eater to cycle tanks. They all 3 came in a bag of 6 feeder fish from Petco.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #13 
gavinrmsy

well i dont think it is a minnow because it has been in that bowl sense it was born 10 months ago... on 2/13/11 and it hasn't needed a filtration system and is still alive...
gavinrmsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #14 
guardianfyre

Just because it's still alive doesn't mean it's going to be doing well. In a bowl, there is very little surface area for oxygen absorption. It might be alright for now because it's a small minnow, but they get up to 3.5 inches long, way too big for a bowl. They're also an active fish that tend to jump if they feel too confined. They do better in schools as well.

Did she get any live plants before she found him? Sometimes live plants will come into the store where I work at with eggs on them. We get minnows, shiners, and pencilfish in our plant tank from time to time because of this.
guardianfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinrmsy View Post
well i dont think it is a minnow because it has been in that bowl sense it was born 10 months ago... on 2/13/11 and it hasn't needed a filtration system and is still alive...
No it's a small cyprinid (minnow). Minnows are hardy fish and can survive without a filtration system, but they won't thrive. It also looks a little emaciated. Either way, it's not a betta, and should not be treated like one.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Looks like a rosy red minnow - which, minnow are hardy fish and therefore are even used to cycle a tank fish-in style. Minnows can even be found in manmade ponds, lakes, and lagoons. We used to find tons in the lagoon (oil, bike, beer bottles, whatever you wanted to dump was carelessly dumped in there...) And they thrived up until winter each year, at only an inch and a half long.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #17 
Brian10962001

These minnows are probably some of the toughest fish out there. Mine has cycled three tanks and is thriving in a five gallon bucket with anacharis and a bit of top off water now and then. Its for sure a rosy red, how it got in there who knows. Did she use java moss for her spawn?
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #18 
gavinrmsy

no i dont think so she has never owned a rosy minnow in fact all she has ever owned is betta fish. no idea how a rosy minnow could be created from 2 betta fish...
gavinrmsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Rosy minnows are egg layers, and eggs could have attached to ANY live plant, or algae coated ornaments, that could have come from the store, or another person's tank, or even the wild (depending on the source of water, food, etc, such as infusoria cultures create from lakes)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #20 
Draug Isilme

I'm no expert with identifying fish, but this fish doesn't look anything like a betta at all... Betta's only take a few months to grow to their adult size. From my research, males are fully grown at about 6 months old and are old enough to breed... You've said your sister bred him earlier this year, and it's now December- which you've said it's nine months old and your fish doesn't.. quite look like a fully grown betta- at least not any of the types I've ever come across..... The information doesn't quite add up. You should enquire your sister on how she bred the bettas and such. It makes a lot of sense that some minnow eggs were accidently transferred to her tank somehow and one or more minnows happened to survive.... It's definitely a possibility.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote