Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 
Lostkano

different tank mates

Had a crazy idea for tank mates for mt my crown tail. He's with 2 guppies and 1 groumie (living dangerously, so far so good) But I'm kicking around the idea of an ant farm insude the tank.
Lostkano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #2 
LucasTheFisher

What is the size of your tank? Is it planted or does it have ornaments and/or many hiding places? These things usually break the line of sight of the fishes and become hiding places for stressed/injured fish.

If you have plenty of space and plants, I think you can get away with some fishes.
LucasTheFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

Why yes! Ants make GREAT tank mates. Since the ant farms have openings at the top for air, they would just live in water. Maybe you could get those aquatics ants that have gills? I heard they are great with fish!
Ants are great swimmers too!

....but in all seriousness... WHAT?!

Also, you need to remove the Gourami, as they are in the same family as a betta and WILL defend their territory. You'll need a couple more guppies (i.e. one male and two-three females [or ALL females]) to have a stable tank set-up.
What size tank do you have?

Last edited by youlovegnats; 12-22-2011 at 12:23 PM.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I say no on the Gourami as well. I have one and he's one territorial boy. Also, most of them need very large tanks.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #5 
Myates

Yup, third the notion of removing the gourami- yes you are forcing them to live dangerously, but is it really worth it for them to be stressed out and fighting and possible one being harmed or even killed? I highly suggest giving the betta it's own tank if you are wanting to keep the gourami.
What size tank are they in? We're not here to judge or yell at you.. but would rather educate you on the proper way to care for fish- as it's for the best interest in them to help you out.
The ant farm is not a good idea, as they do need air and regular feeding- and if any escape and happen to bite a fish in it's struggle to get out of the water you could have a dead fish on your hands from the toxins the ants use when biting.
Have to keep in mind these are living creatures with specific needs such as dogs, cats, hamsters, etc.. need to give them the proper living conditions to keep them happy and healthy.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 
kfryman

Myates I don't think youlovegnats was being serious. But I agree with everyone the betta needs its own tank. As gouramis and bettas occupy the same space, since they both have labyrinth organs. Too bad so many pretty fish are aggressive.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #7 
Myates

I knew she wasn't.. I was talking to the OP
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Lol, guys. No I wasn't being serious. xD
I knew Myates was talking to the OP. xDD
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #9 
Romad