Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #1 
fishy friend2

Smile 5 gallon tank

Here is my plan for my heavily planted 5 gallon tank, I'm was just wondering if it sounded alright,
Thanks

Stocking
- 3 male pure strain endlers
- 1 male cellophane marble Betta
- 5 to 10 bladder snails
- 1 ramsorn snail
- 5 to 10 ghost shrimp

Plants
It is going to be heavily planted with these plants
- 2 to 3 bunches of hornwort
- 1 to 2 bunches of anacharis
- 1 large amazon sword plant
- 3 small to medium argentine sword plants
- 1 large clump of java moss
- 1 small bunch of Brazilian penny wort
- 1 small bunch of money wort
- possibly some micro swords
- anubias barteri (broad leaf)
- small bunch of ludwiga Repens
- 1 large Stem of wisteria

Substrate
- quick Crete play sand

Supplements
- NutraFin Plant Gro Aquatic Plant Essential Micro-Nutrients
- API Root Tabs Aquarium Plant Fertilizer

Lighting
- One 15 watt lightbulb, that will be on for 8 to 10 hours a day

Heater
- tetra heater 5 to 15 ( non adjustable ) but I decided to read all the reviews and it works well, and I also know someone you uses it in there tank, it keeps it at 78 degrees Fahrenheit

Filter
- Aqua tech power filter 5 to 15

Food
- Tetra Betta Min flakes
- Live Brine shrimp
- Live mosquito larvae
- Live bloodworms

Schedule for feeding
- Monday through friday
- bettamin flakes twice a day every day
- Saturday
- a mix of brine shrimp, bloodworms, and mosquito larvae, along with their regular feeding
- Sunday
Fasting day

Water conditioner
- Tetra Aqua-Safe

Water changes
- Weekly
- One 25% water change
- Monthly
- one 50 % water change
Annualy
- one 100% water change

Last edited by fishy friend2; 12-19-2011 at 09:27 PM.
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #2 
fishy friend2

Oh yeah, and I am definitely going to add more plants to that list within a week but I don't know which ones that I want, can anybody think of some common plants that would go nice in my aquarium, thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

I think some ambulia, or, if you can't get it, cabomba, would look lovely with all that. Subwassertang is great for shrimp and looks nice alongside java moss, but is harder to care for.

In terms of stocking, I would drop all of the snails. Snails have a very large bioload proportionate to their size, and since you are already overstocked in terms of fish, you don't need the snails adding to it. Plus they reproduce so fast they put guppies to shame.
The shrimp would be fine, but because of the lovely colours you are going to have with the endlers, I'd go for red cherry shrimp to set them off. :) Plus, cherries breed fast enough to make up for any that may get eaten. They are also better algae eaters than ghosties, whilst still being excellent scavengers.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #4 
Draug Isilme

I don't think having one snail would hurt- I don't know much about different types of snails, but I am keeping a mystery snail with my betta in a 5g. One thing I've noticed is that before I added plants to my tank and the tank was cycled, the nitrate would reach to nearly 20ppm in about a week. However, after adding plants (wisteria, microsword, anubias, and marimos), ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate has been staying at a little below 5ppm and it's not very heavily planted- although I'm working my way up to having it so. I'm expecting the nitrate to reach 0 at some point, but until then, the nitrate is far from hurting either of my aquatic creatures. The only worry I have is that mystery snails can range from 2-6 inches, and that will surely increase the bioload... Otherwise, my snail is about 2 inches and it isn't effecting my water quality one bit (I do 50% water changes weekly and that's partly because the water evaporates pretty quickly).... If you still like to have a snail, it'd probably be best to find one that doesn't get any bigger than 2 inches and isn't able to breed on its own in a fresh water tank- maybe a nerite snail?
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #5 
BettaBuddy101

I'd scrap the bladder snails and also go for cherries instead of ghosts, 5 would probably be more appropriate than 10 in a 5 gallon. Alternatively, amano shrimp are reputedly better algae eaters, though grow larger than ghosts and cherries, cherries being the smallest at around 2cm, amanos at around 5. I've never kept them, but from what I've read online, ramshorns can be terrible plant eaters, so they may not be the best choice. Try nerite, they can only breed in brackish so you won't get bucket loads of snails.
I think that 3 endlers, 1 male betta, 5 shrimp and 1 snail would make a nice 5 gallon setup, perhaps a little overstocked with the endlers, but I wouldn't think they'd hurt it too much. If anything, it'll be the snail that does that as they have high bioloads. To be on the safer side, you could just scrap all the snails altogether.
The addition of CO2 wouldn't be a bad idea either with all those plants in there.
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

With the amount of plants you have I think your stocking level is fine. Bladder (or pond) snails have an almost negligible bioload but you will have to be careful to remove the young as they multiply extremely fast IMO. Same for the Ramshorn.

The shrimp again have an almost negligible bioload so I doubt you'll have a problem with them. You may find that with such a small foot print that the betta picks on the shrimp and endlers... but with the amount of plant cover you'll have that might not be an issue.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #7 
fishy friend2

Okay, thanks for all the replies, and I already set the tank up and their are no compatibility problems. I would get cherries but they are too expensive here
Here is the tank, it's not quite heavily planted yet but it's getting there
Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #8 
fishy friend2

And about the snails, I will get rid of them if I see more than the amount I want
The number of bladder snails in the tank is 5 and then their is one ramshorn snai
And now I have about 5 ghost shrimp instead of 10

And would Riccia work instead of subwassertang, because I can't find any where I live