Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #1 
Seager1991

Hi Im new here

Hi, my names Zach, Im new here, ive been living in this appartment by myself for about 6 months so I figured id move some one new in. This is my betta, I havnt named him yet, but I was hoping maybe one of you could tell me what type of betta he is. Oh, and I also found out I cant leave his light on at night due to the fact he sees his reflection and isnt happy. Hes a cocky little guy, ive owned one before but he would never flare even if he saw himself in a mirror, I haven't even had this one 24 hours and he's shown me just about every emotion a fish can, he even watchs tv I swear!
Attached Images

Seager1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #2 
Seager1991

I also wanted to know, how often should I change the water if I put one or two snails in, I have one live plant, I was also wondering if since its only a 0.9 gallon tank of I added a single neon tetra would he be agressive twords it or is there even enough space for the tetra to live with him? I plan on going back to the pet store today, even though I dont like ot, I wish I could rescue every fish from there. But I do need the snails either way but I really wanna know about the neon tetra I believe its called.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #3 
Gen2387

Hi and welcome!
First, I think your little guy is a veiltail and he's very pretty by the way. There aren't a lot of green ones out there. Lucky you!

For a 0.9 gal tank I wouldn't recommend any tankmates. You got to have at least 5 gallons if you want to add a snail and for another fish at least ten gallons. Otherwise you're overcrowding the tank. As for water changes, I'd say every other day because ammonia builds up VERY fast in those small tanks.

Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #4 
Seager1991

Wanted to add a better picture of him, I named him Smoke but I think he deserves a better name then that, recommendations would be appreciated. He actually didnt run from the camera this time. So, any recommendations?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #5 
Seager1991

New picture, didnt show up in last reply...oops.
The second pictures the weird spot he chooses to rest, its under a leaf of the live plant I put in his tank.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #6 
VickieTrivellas

I love his colors :)
I had the same ornament too.
I wouldn't get a neon tetra, your fish is likely to bully it, plus you'd need to get at least six to ten of them, they don't do well in groups of less than that.
VickieTrivellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #7 
Seager1991

Ok thank you and any chance do you have any name recommendations because I dont think smoke is a good name for him it was my friends idea
Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #8 
Seager1991

Is it true the fact that hes semi-green makes him rare? If so Im even more excited I bought him as my first betta and saved him from the store that probally would have let him starve to death :'( why own a pet store if your not going to take care of the animals your trying to sell :'(
Old 01-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

pet stores aim for money. And the employees usually like the furries more than any of the scalies including fish. we have the same situation here in a non-chain store.

I haven't come across that green, his is a blue/green, but a lot stronger than some other "blue greens" which usually end up more blue than green. to me that makes him rare
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote