Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #1 
snowtail

Betta Jars?

Where can I the plastic containers that the pet stores keep their Bettas in?
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks
snowtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #2 
JKfish

Hey there Snowtail ^-^

what do you want the containers for? They aren't suitable for keeping bettas in long term, merely for holding during water changes or perhaps to hold them in during a short photo shoot, and honestly, there are better containers for those two purposes. A plain plastic cup or tubberware works great for holding bettas during water changes, and a nice clear squre tubberware works well during photo shoots, much better than the curved sides of the betta cups.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #3 
snowtail

I never thought about taking pictures in those cups, I guess I was worried about a "what if" my bettas had babies... I think I better think this one out a little better before I start to breed them... Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #4 
kathstew

There isn't really a "what if my bettas have babies". Your bettas wouldn't have fry unless you planned to breed them and put a male and female together to let them spawn. Are you housing a male and female together right now or something?

Also, you could probably find betta jars on ebay. Or at dollar stores get the jars they use for cookies or spices.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
snowtail

When I bought a baby betta at Petco it turned out to be a female, I have a 10g tank which is divided. On one side I have a red VT male, and on the other side I have a Half moon. The baby betta is in a breeding tank on the half moon side because I didn't want to put it in my other 10g tank. I know that she's a little young to breed so I wouldn't even attempt to let her out. Having that said, do you think it's ok to keep them that way? I bought one betta and now I have 5... It's an addiction.
@Kathstew, have you ever bred bettas?
Thanks for all your help/suggestions!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #6 
kathstew

I would divide the 10 gallon three ways, or get a smaller tank for the baby betta. Depending on the breeding net, its probably not a good size for a betta to live in permanently.
At this point, I think the issue wouldn't be if they bred if she escaped, it would be which betta would kill her if she did. If she's still a baby the bigger bettas may try to kill her.
Bettas are definitely an addiction!

I haven't bred bettas before. I seriously considered it a while back, but decided (and I think made a very wise decision) that I wasn't ready experience wise. A lot of things can go wrong with breeding. There is a great sticky in the breeding section that has questions you should ask yourself before breeding. It lets you know whether you may be ready or not.
I did a lot of research on breeding bettas, but decided I wasn't ready. Maybe sometime in the future I will be breeding bettas, but not yet. :)
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote